New gauges for my Rinker

lmholmes11

Seaman
Hello, I am thinking about updating the gauges on my 2000 Rinker Captiva 232. I found a few design I like on the Great lakes marine website. My question is wiring. What kind of wiring or plug style should I look for when shopping?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the gauge you select, it comes with the plug installed in the gauge. So you will have to buy the other end to wire it up. But it should tell you what type mating plug to get. As far as wiring goes, try to buy marine wire because it comes tinned and therefore will help control corrosion better. The gauge size will depend on the amount of current the gauge needs to operate properly AND the distance those wires will run. The longer the run, the bigger the gauge size. But with that said, unless you are installing an amp meter, most all other gauges can use a typical 14 or 12 gauge wire safely without any problems. Wire colors also depend on the gauge and its function. That is if you plan on being wired to standard marine systems. JMHO!

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
12 gauge wire, and even 14 gauge is overkill for any gauge except an ammeter. Heavy gauge wire is very difficult to make decent connections with short bend radius. 16 gauge is very adequate, 14 gauge is acceptable. The best thing to do is look at your current gauges and then buy replacements with equivalent connections. If your current gauges have threaded stud connections, it is a simple matter to simply transfer the connections to the new gauges. If the new gauges have plug in connections, you will need to do some splicing.

Bondo

Staff member
Hello, I am thinking about updating the gauges on my 2000 Rinker Captiva 232. I found a few design I like on the Great lakes marine website. My question is wiring. What kind of wiring or plug style should I look for when shopping?

Ayuh,.... Look at the backs of yer present gauges, 'n See how they're hooked up,....

Probably wirin', 'n screw terminals, No plugs at all,....

lmholmes11

Seaman
Thanks everyone, I'll take a look at the back of my current gauges once I get my boat out of storage