Javelin 378 FS battery/electronic set up

Karma16

Cadet
Ok,

Just bought my first boat earlier this week. It's a big of a fix er' up. The engine runs great but one of the first things I need to do is get the battery and electronic situation set up. The boat is a 1990 Javelin 378 FS. equipped with a trolling motor, two depth/fish finders and I am going to be adding LED lighting around the rub rails to attract bait fish and on the interior for lighting during night fishing.

What I was planning on doing was getting 3 deep cycle batteries. Two dedicated for the trolling motor, and the third dedicated to the LED lighting and depth/fish finders. As well as a fourth cranking battery for the 140 Johnson. I was going to run an on board battery charger to the three deep cycles.

Does my plan sound feasible? Any recommendations on exactly what type of on board charger I should be using?

The boat is my new project, I am eager to learn. I am a jeep guy, just finished modding my last Jeep and the boat is my new toy/project.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you have room for four batteries and can accommodate the extra weight it will work. The engine can easily take care of the starting battery. In your system there is no need for a dual battery switch, isolator, ACR or ????? You do need a three bank smart charger with a minimum of 5 or 6 amps/output.

Karma16

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback

Although, I am now considering just to go ahead and get a four bank on board charger to insure all batteries are maintained when not in the water. May not be necessary but I think it would give me some peace of mind. I work out of state a lot, with a 4 bank charger I could have a friend, cousin, girlfriend or whoever just plug it up and know that it will all be ready to go when I arrive home. Without have to double check the starting battery before a weekend on the lake.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

You can probably do without the fourth battery. Use the third deep cycle to start the motor. LEDs and fish finders don't use that much current.

Last edited: