Another battery question....

FlyGuy65

Cadet
Stock Sea Ray 175 w/ 3.0 mercruiser. OEM battery is an Interstate 27m with 800 CCA. Brought the battery into an auto store for a free battery check, and they said replace the battery, it's 'only' producing 680 CCA. A little online research shows a lot of marine 27m size batteries brand new only rated at 550 CCA. Big question: does this battery need to be replaced because it's only producing 85% or so of rated CCA, or is it still good as it's producing more CCA than some brand new batteries? (The water level was low in one of the cells - top of plate just showing.) Don't want to deal with dead battery on the lake, but always the possibility of replacing a good old battery with a bad new one.

Thanks,
John

pckeen

Commander
Did you have problems with the battery before you took it in?

If not, I would take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
How old is the battery? Perhaps their assessment also included the battery's age. I figure a good battery should last about 5 years if it's been properly maintained. After 5 years, at the first sign of trouble, I replace it. Divide the price of the battery by its age in years (perhaps $20 per year), then think about how much of a pain it will be to have a failure that you could have avoided. - Grandad

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it's still good to me. A 3.0 does not require even close to 680CCA. You have plenty of margin.

oldjeep

Admiral
Stock Sea Ray 175 w/ 3.0 mercruiser. OEM battery is an Interstate 27m with 800 CCA. Brought the battery into an auto store for a free battery check, and they said replace the battery, it's 'only' producing 680 CCA. A little online research shows a lot of marine 27m size batteries brand new only rated at 550 CCA. Big question: does this battery need to be replaced because it's only producing 85% or so of rated CCA, or is it still good as it's producing more CCA than some brand new batteries? (The water level was low in one of the cells - top of plate just showing.) Don't want to deal with dead battery on the lake, but always the possibility of replacing a good old battery with a bad new one.

Thanks,
John

Couple thoughts
1) Sounds like plenty of CCA for your boat
2) If you are seeing 550CCA for a group 27M battery then you are looking at deep cycle/hybrids not marine starting batteries. If you buy a replacement make sure you understand the difference.

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class
try getting a battery minder and put it on your battery.it maintains the battery and desulfates the plates.it has been known to restore dead batterys

FlyGuy65

Cadet
Couple thoughts
1) Sounds like plenty of CCA for your boat
2) If you are seeing 550CCA for a group 27M battery then you are looking at deep cycle/hybrids not marine starting batteries. If you buy a replacement make sure you understand the difference.

Had to double check the auto website. Sure enough - the brand name is 'Super Start', but they make both deep cycle (490 CCA) and starting batteries (840 CCA). Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, in my experience starting batteries work for 5 years (maybe 6), and then they fail completely. I never heard of one slowly loosing CCA. Also, they tend to fail when you first start the motor for the day.

I suppose you could have a lousy tuned engine that requires a lot of cranking when warm to start. In that case you could have a failure, while out on the water. Of course, if you go out in a boat, with an engine as I have described, that isn't the smartest thing.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Gee, in my experience starting batteries work for 5 years (maybe 6), and then they fail completely. I never heard of one slowly loosing CCA. Also, they tend to fail when you first start the motor for the day.

Any battery that has a fair amount of slow discharge will always lose CCA's, just part of the aging process. In my case, I have a lot of engine-off but stereo on time on my boat, so I either run hybrid dual purpose or even deep cycle only. (single battery) The deeper the discharge, the more CCA capacity you will lose. I RARELY have a battery fail completely, mine tend to end up with so little capacity they aren't worth running any more.

Also, completely flattening a battery just once will easily drop your CCA capacity by a significant amount.

Last edited:

bitesomthing

Cadet
think about it....................... Just go buy a new battery, the cost is well worth the aggravation you will see later. Battery is cheaper than a tank of gas.......
WHen in doubt swap it out.........