Move wiring

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This isn't a big problem just an annoyance. Looking for suggestions. I have a 1988 basstracker 17 ft. It has the two casting platforms front and rear and a steering wheel console. Problem I have is a weight problem. The boat only has a 40 hp mercury on it. In the back of the boat I have Two 1000 amp batteries biggest I could find for trolling and starting. Two 6 gallon gas tanks.The batteries are on the right side just behind me. When I sit in boat the left side of boat sits low in water from all the weight on right side. I weigh about 200 lbs . I want to move batteries to other side or maybe move one under front casting platform if I can get battery thru that small door under deck. The reason I want to do this is boat is taking on water when I take corners. Anyone ever do this and any ideas would be appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could easily move the battery to the front. In fact I think that would be a better place for two reasons. First you will get less of a voltage drop drawing the current from the front for the trolling motor. Secondly it will allow the boat to plane off quicker as well. If you are taking on water in turns, you need to move things around to try and keep the hull more level. With a 40HP, do you really use 12 gallons of gas on a normal outing? If so then you need both tanks. But if not, why carry both around?

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks I appreciate the advice. Just use to having extra tank. May just remove one. Then I can move battery to other side that will be easier although moving to front is a good idea too. I once had a boat that would porpoise . I put a 100 lb weight up front that was before dolphin was available.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Why the 2 very large batteries? I can understand the one for the trolling motor but why such a big one for that 40hp Merc? I'm running a 60hp Johnson and don't need that large of a cranking battery.
In these smaller fishing boats weight becomes a premium and adds up in a hurry. Would also think in a 17' bass boat with that small of an engine weight would be even more of an issue.