Need a round plug!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if this electrical section is the proper place to post this or in the Johnson Engine forum. But here goes. I am presently working on my Tom Boy Boat project, that I'm sure many of you know about. Well I'm actually getting closer to needing to install some wiring and such in the boat as I button it up. So I am looking for the usual round Johnson plug connectors (the black version) so I can manufacture a new control cable from the boat's helm section to the engine. Does anybody know where I could possible locate one. I actually would like to get both sides of this connector so everything can be replace with new. I have the wiring nailed down, but not the plug and pins, for lack of a better description. I know somebody has to still manufacture them, because there are places you can buy new cables custom made for this engine. So they are getting them from somewhere... Any ideas will be greatly appreciated indeed...

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Would a 7 pin trailer plug work for you. Obviously not standard OEM, but if enough pins, may be economic and heavy enough. - Grandad

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Would a 7 pin trailer plug work for you. Obviously not standard OEM, but if enough pins, may be economic and heavy enough. - Grandad

Not a bad idea there granddad. Actually I bought a very nice round Cannon Brand type plug set (male and female) that is totally weather proof and chemical proof as well, with individual gold plated pins and sockets. I used to use such high quality type plugs in my career. However, I was wanting to see if I could get the manufacturer's original type plug to keep this original. If I can't locate the original setup, these Cannon circular connectors will certain work. I was just trying to keep it all Johnson original... Thanks for your suggestion and reply. That was an interesting idea I will say. I never thought of that as an option... I will remember that for future ideas!

alldodge

Staff member
Not sure if this electrical section is the proper place to post this or in the Johnson Engine forum. But here goes. I am presently working on my Tom Boy Boat project, that I'm sure many of you know about. Well I'm actually getting closer to needing to install some wiring and such in the boat as I button it up. So I am looking for the usual round Johnson plug connectors (the black version) so I can manufacture a new control cable from the boat's helm section to the engine. Does anybody know where I could possible locate one. I actually would like to get both sides of this connector so everything can be replace with new. I have the wiring nailed down, but not the plug and pins, for lack of a better description. I know somebody has to still manufacture them, because there are places you can buy new cables custom made for this engine. So they are getting them from somewhere... Any ideas will be greatly appreciated indeed...

How about this
http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Evinr...038899&pdv=c&gclid=CJyAydOd78QCFTFp7AodBCcANQ

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
gm280, The 1978 35hp Evinrude that was on the Lund I built has a black cannon plug on the engine side. I was able to locate a used black plug cable for the control side. Then when I went to put it together I found that the wire colors and codes didn't match. But after some help here and form a good friend at the marina I was able to determine that the wire color didn't matter as the pins in both plugs matched up to what they were supposed to.. Also during this learning process I seem to recall that the red plug and the black plugs will be backwards compatible was well. The difference being that the red plug has more pins being there for accessories.
One of which is the pin and wire for a tachometer is not present in the black plug as I recall

Anyways a black engine plug will work with a red control plug as far as ignition and choke.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gm280, The 1978 35hp Evinrude that was on the Lund I built has a black cannon plug on the engine side. I was able to locate a used black plug cable for the control side. Then when I went to put it together I found that the wire colors and codes didn't match. But after some help here and form a good friend at the marina I was able to determine that the wire color didn't matter as the pins in both plugs matched up to what they were supposed to.. Also during this learning process I seem to recall that the red plug and the black plugs will be backwards compatible was well. The difference being that the red plug has more pins being there for accessories.
One of which is the pin and wire for a tachometer is not present in the black plug as I recall

Anyways a black engine plug will work with a red control plug as far as ignition and choke.

Ha bonz_d, I didn't know the differences between the two round colored plugs. Thanks for the info and how they could be used if it comes to that. I am installing a tach and have already bought the gauges I am going to install in this boat project. But knowing that a red round Johnson (and Evinrude I assume) will work with each other is interesting news indeed. Thanks again...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
gm280 here is a picture of the black plug on the 35hp Rude. As you can see there are only 5 pins. The Red plug on my 83 50hp had 8 pins.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gm280 here is a picture of the black plug on the 35hp Rude. As you can see there are only 5 pins. The Red plug on my 83 50hp had 8 pins.

bonz_d, that is exactly the type plugs I had on my engine and the boat side controls. However, the wire is so old and basically screwed up. I wanted to install all new wires. But that round black plug doesn't have removable pins and sockets like Cannon plugs do and therefore I'd have to splice every wire somewhere close to the connector(s). While I can do that correctly (don't that so many times in my career) with lap joints and shrink tubing, and make it look somewhat good, I really would like new wires all the way to the pins and sockets inside the connector(s). It looks like they molded around the pins and sockets after the wire was attached. So I don't know how to get to these connectors to replace the wires. However, thank you for such info and taking your time to post everything. I do appreciate it and will take another serious look at my old connectors again... Thanks!