Extending the starter wire to battery? Safe?

wjhuskey

Seaman
I have a 1961 14 ft runabout and its always been heavy on the rear with an outboard, two tanks of gas, and a battery. The boat never really wants to plane out (especially with anyone in the back seat; It has a bench seat in the front and one in the rear). I've thought about putting maybe one gas tank up under the front deck where dry storage is intended...but it'd be a pain in the rear to get in and out especially with it being full. There isn't enough room to fill it up where it'd set unless I drill a hole in the top of the deck and installed a gas cap. I don't really want to do all that so I've decided to just put my battery in the front BUT I will have to extend my battery cables 10 feet; I'm talking about the cables that crank the outboard. Is this ok? Because I know the longer the cable, the less hot the fire is. Will this burn anything up? Electrical expert advice needed here. Thanks in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1961 14 ft runabout and its always been heavy on the rear with an outboard, two tanks of gas, and a battery. The boat never really wants to plane out (especially with anyone in the back seat; It has a bench seat in the front and one in the rear). I've thought about putting maybe one gas tank up under the front deck where dry storage is intended...but it'd be a pain in the rear to get in and out especially with it being full. There isn't enough room to fill it up where it'd set unless I drill a hole in the top of the deck and installed a gas cap. I don't really want to do all that so I've decided to just put my battery in the front BUT I will have to extend my battery cables 10 feet; I'm talking about the cables that crank the outboard. Is this ok? Because I know the longer the cable, the less hot the fire is. Will this burn anything up? Electrical expert advice needed here. Thanks in advance.

Ayuh,.... You'd no doubt need a bigger as well as longer cables, both (+), 'n (-),....

I'd reccomend ya rethink it though,...
Battery's don't like to take a Beatin', 'n it will in the bow,....

wjhuskey

Seaman
Yeah batteries definitely don't like to take a beating...I was planning on securing the battery down to a marine battery tray with a strap...

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
I had a similar problem with my 14' flats boat. I keep my anchor and rode up there. I also ran a set of heavy (#4 I think) cables to the bow, anchored a battery box and put in a group 31 marine battery. It's been 4 years and I haven't had any issues- but then again, I don't jump wakes or take it out in snotty conditions......

wjhuskey

Seaman
file.php

I found this chart from another boating forum that someone replied with. Looks like about 25 or 30 amp wire is what I'd need for 10 feet. Where can I buy wire like this?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your chart is missing the color code for the wire gauge.

Is this battery used for starting your engine? If so, you need wire that is a big enough gauge for that and that is way more than 30A.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Here's another table for selecting wire size:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/articles/choosing-cables-and-terminals.asp

(see Table 1. For some reason I could not cut and paste it here without problems.)

You'll need to know what amperage the wire must handle during starting. If it pulls 80A, for example, over a 10' total run, you'd need 6 gauge wire. And remember, if you're going to err, always err on the side of bigger wire.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Also, if you are moving it 10' it is actually a 20' run because you have to count the ground as well.

Personally, I would never move a battery from the stern.

Last edited: