190 Candia Wiring help

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good afternoon,
I picked up a 1993 four winns 190 candia that looks absolutely amazing and ran just as good as she looked when we took her for the test run. When I bought it and took it home I was so excited to finally have something that I am not having to get running just to go out. The person I bought from lived on the lake and so the boat was in the water already and ready to step in and take a ride. When I took out for myself I had my wife and kids with me. We backed the thing in the water and much to our dismay it was dead as a hammer. Not even a clicking sound. So I had to pull my truck into the water and hook up jumpers because it wouldnt even jump from another boat. I got it cranked and we let it run at the dock for about 30 mins. cut it off and cranked back up. All was right in the world. We rode all day and had discovered another issue. The gauges jumped all over the place for some reason. I I reached under the wheel and could move the wires and it would go back to where it needed to be. I got it home and backed into the garage. I got up in it the next day and battery was dead again. I looked under the dash where the wiring is and there are wires everywhere. Fella undoubtedly put in a new stereo and cut into the ignition switch for power. So when I turn the key to Acc the stereo doesnt work. When I go back to off it automatically comes on. There are a lot of cut wires under there and I need a schematic. There is also a built in depth finder that is for some reason spliced into the purple ignition wire. There is a black wire and 2 white wires coming off. I have read the stickies but all the ones for this area say document has moved or something. Any help with this wiring mess would be awesome. If you need more information or pics let me know I will run out and get them.

alldodge

Staff member
Good afternoon,
I picked up a 1993 four winns 190 candia that looks absolutely amazing and ran just as good as she looked when we took her for the test run. When I bought it and took it home I was so excited to finally have something that I am not having to get running just to go out. The person I bought from lived on the lake and so the boat was in the water already and ready to step in and take a ride. When I took out for myself I had my wife and kids with me. We backed the thing in the water and much to our dismay it was dead as a hammer. Not even a clicking sound. So I had to pull my truck into the water and hook up jumpers because it wouldnt even jump from another boat. I got it cranked and we let it run at the dock for about 30 mins. cut it off and cranked back up. All was right in the world. We rode all day and had discovered another issue. The gauges jumped all over the place for some reason. I I reached under the wheel and could move the wires and it would go back to where it needed to be. I got it home and backed into the garage. I got up in it the next day and battery was dead again. I looked under the dash where the wiring is and there are wires everywhere. Fella undoubtedly put in a new stereo and cut into the ignition switch for power. So when I turn the key to Acc the stereo doesnt work. When I go back to off it automatically comes on. There are a lot of cut wires under there and I need a schematic. There is also a built in depth finder that is for some reason spliced into the purple ignition wire. There is a black wire and 2 white wires coming off. I have read the stickies but all the ones for this area say document has moved or something. Any help with this wiring mess would be awesome. If you need more information or pics let me know I will run out and get them.

Looks like the PO had just enough knowledge to get it hooked up originally and didn't care enough to put it back correctly. no worries we can figure this out. Here is a link for the wiring diagram
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/servmanl/13/13e4r2.pdf

The purple wire goes hot when the key is turned to ON. Merc uses the purple wire to turn on everything on the engine

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks So Much. I have been searching the internet for this doc. Also somehow I have managed to create 3 post. The other ones told me they didnt go through. I will try to delete. Thanks again!

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks So Much. I have been searching the internet for this doc. Also somehow I have managed to create 3 post. The other ones told me they didnt go through. I will try to delete. Thanks again!

Glad to help, so far as posting just need to use the refresh key most often, happens all the time. The web dudes are working on it

jbcurt00

Staff member
.....somehow I have managed to create 3 post. The other ones told me they didnt go through. I will try to delete. Thanks again!

You can't delete them, but I did ;)

It isn't a problem on your end, it's a lingering glitch from a forum software upgrade. Note the info at the bottom of AllDodge's signature:
When starting a new thread or replying and it appears nothing has happened, wait a bit and refresh the page. The web site has issues so try refresh before you repost

If you hit Post Reply and get an error message (click OK and proceed to refresh the page) or a Working icon at the top of your browser window, follow his advice about waiting..... If it's been more then 5 seconds or so, in either case, you can also hit F5 on a windows computer (IDK anything about Apple devices). Sorry for any inconvenience.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am back... I keep having a dead battery. I just cant figure out what to do. I pulled the wires out from under the console. There are a lot of plugs and spades not connected to anything. I took the stereo out and fixed it. Any idea how to diagnose a low voltage draw?

alldodge

Staff member
I am back... I keep having a dead battery. I just cant figure out what to do. I pulled the wires out from under the console. There are a lot of plugs and spades not connected to anything. I took the stereo out and fixed it. Any idea how to diagnose a low voltage draw?

Take a millimeter and put it on the amps scale, make sure meter can handle 10 amps. Disconnect the positive battery cable and with everything turned off. Put the positive meter lead on the battery post and the negative lead on the cable end. If you see anything show up start disconnecting items till it goes to zero.

Most stereos have a stay alive feed but this will not be your issue