rectifier

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i have a j140tlcte 83 model. i have put 2 retifiers on in 2 yrs , have not reversed battery terminals. any ideas on why they failed. also cdi has a combination rectifier / regulator , has anyone had experence with them. thanks for any responce.:joyous:

alldodge

Staff member
i have a j140tlcte 83 model. i have put 2 retifiers on in 2 yrs , have not reversed battery terminals. any ideas on why they failed. also cdi has a combination rectifier / regulator , has anyone had experence with them. thanks for any responce.:joyous:

Wish I could help, but might want to try in the Johnson section with your question

Good luck

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like your outputting more current then the rectifiers can handle and they are blowing. I would look for either a larger current type or check everything from stator to battery and see what was the cause...

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
thanks guys for your help . AllDodge i will move my post. gm280 iguess i need to get an ampmeter and do some testing. i was thinking one of those rectifier/reg might be the answer. not familier with them. thanks alot .:joyous:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Are you buying the correct rectifier for the motor. There may be nothing wrong with the stator output but the rectifier may be the incorrect type (meaning it's current handling capability is too low). A bad battery cable (positive or negative) can open momentarily which has the same effect as running without a battery connected. This destroys rectifiers. And no -- your motor does not need a battery to run because it is a magneto system. The battery is only used to spin the starter and run accessories. You never run an outboard without a battery. Was the stator on this engine upgraded in the past?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can get a rectifier at Radio Shack for less than $5.00 that seems to be a little more durable than the stock one. I've used them many times.

Alumarine

Captain
You can get a rectifier at Radio Shack for less than $5.00 that seems to be a little more durable than the stock one. I've used them many times.

Yes, I used a NTE5322 rectifier that I picked up at an electronics shop for $7 on my merc based on info from the merc forum I think.