Recomment a new trolling motor

jeepwm69

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I currently have an older 3HP Minn Kota that has served me well for 25 years or so. It was supposedly around 48lbs of thrust, and was about perfect for the pond I usually fish.

IF I do have to buy a new trolling motor, what is recommended now? I would like to have a basic transom mount, 12V, around 50lb thrust. I see Minn Kotas with platic shafts....bleh. Any of the current offerings made of more durable materials? Any particular models that are more prone to have problems?

I know a newer motor will be 1/2 the size, probably draw much less power, and give more thrust, but I would prefer to get something that will last a long time if I end up having to buy new.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
They are not plastic shafts. They are fiberglass or carbon fiber so the have some give if you hit something. Metal shafts bend.

jeepwm69

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, so are there ary particular models that tend to be better than others in a basic transom mount?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Just figure what your budget is and start looking, most brands are fine.

The budget part is harder, every step of the way just a few $$ more gets you another gadget, feature or more power.

jeepwm69

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at an Endura C2 55. Anyone have any experience with that one?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I've owned many Minnkotas (mostly bow mounts but one or two stern mounts) and never had an issue. I had one MotorGuide and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. But then others here have the opposite experience. So do your own review search.

jeepwm69

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The reviews on Amazon seem to be good, was just wondering if anyone here might have seen recurring issues with that particular model.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
As long as it is a good name brand, I don't see you having any issues with either type. There are some knock-offs out there that may seem good, but I'd avoid them like the plague. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for... I wouldn't have any issues with MotorGuide or Minn Kota myself.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I still own a working 3HP Minn Kota just like yours that I use on my Coleman Scanoe. I've also had a Motorguide 54lb thrust bowmount on my previous boat which served me very well. On my newest boat I have a Minn Kota Terrova 80lb thrust bowmount with the iPilot and love it with that technology. Needless to say, I've had a great experience with both manufacturers. I think both manufacturers have tried and true transom mount models (since the higher technology models are bow mounts). I would just find the best price on the model with the highest thrust for the money with the important features you want and pull the trigger.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I see a thread like this being synonymous to Chevy vs Ford type issue. Both trolling motor manufacturers make equal quality models and it really comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't worry about either manufacturer because you have to know they both have the same capabilities. One doesn't out shine the other or they wouldn't still be in business...

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Guys,
I am old fool that tends to try to pass on my two cents. The difference and advantage of a bow mount over a transom is GREAT!!! Do not take the easy way out. I know that it is going to cost money, but the pleasure you will reap will surpass the cost. I got my Minn kota AP 55 8 years ago and it is still running. Not without some problems with foot control and compass controller. I fix these things myself, with the WONDERFUL support of their people. My fish time was not wasted keeping the boat on coarse. Put it on a heading and fish. Good luck with your choice, but if you haven't noticed, your money isn't worth anything anyway!.

jeepwm69

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My fish time was not wasted keeping the boat on coarse. Put it on a heading and fish. Good luck with your choice, but if you haven't noticed, your money isn't worth anything anyway!.

LOL, inflation is under control!

I fish a small pond on our farm 99.9% of the time, so a foot control unit really wouldn't help that much. I've been very happy with my old transom mount 3HP from the late 80's, so will go with another Minn Kota.