Why is my battery is boiling? ** update **

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
My cranking battery is a size 24 dual purpose Interstate, around 4 years old, the alternator keeps it charged & I top it off between trips when necessary. It cranks & runs tilt, pumps, lights, sonar, etc. T/M circuit is separate.<br /><br />I keep it in my garage because the boat stays offsite. I been monitoring it regularly, hydrometer always shows high midrange. Used it very minimally Friday, two starts, one to launch & one to load (launched for trailer maintenance only).<br /><br />Since then it's been ticking & a tiny bit of water has trickled out through the caps. It's never done this before. I didn't want to take the caps off till it stopped but after a couple days, should I be doing something?<br /><br />thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why is my battery is boiling? ** update **

What type of charger are you using. If its not an automatic type, you are boiling the battery, creating potential for an explosion, and shortening the life of the battery. For maintenance, a 1-1/2 to 2 amp maximum with auto turn on/off is required.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Mostly the 6-amp outboard alternator. This time it was still fully charged after the last outing. Haven't put the charger on it in a month or two. Sorry, wasn't clear about that before.<br /><br />It starting boiling on it's own - sat in the boat overnight & when I went to put it away yesterday morning it was ticking away like a time bomb. And it's still going.<br /><br />When I do need to top it off I use a manual charger on the two-amp setting. I don't remember overcharging this one; I may have once or twice but not recently. I do appreciate the advice - it's just got me worried right now. wonder do I need a flak jacket. :) <br /><br />thanks,

18rabbit

Captain

You’re sure you don’t have a direct short to gnd anywhere?<br /><br />Either way, I suggest disconnecting the gnd bat cable and see if things settle down. If they don’t, you have bat problems.<br /><br />Fwiw, a boil bat is not necessarily a bad thing. Constant boiling is.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

You probably just need a new battery. 4 years for a marine battery is pushing it.

DemersChrisG

Seaman

Hey man, you could be overcharging, but maybe not. Dump some baking soda on the battery terminals. That will neutralize the acids causing it to bubble and smell bad. Then go from there; that could solve your problem at the cost of a little baking soda.

Tatorbug

Seaman Apprentice

If the battery is making noise, getthe wires disconnected. If it still ticks, wrap it in something to protect you and your boat in case it explodes.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Here's an update: Wednesday morning it was still ticking but slowly. I listened more carefully - it's not so much a boiling sound (don't ask me how I know) as a sort of gurgling, kind of like it's gasping for air or burping, can't tell which.<br /><br />Popped the caps off, noise stopped, no explosions :) , plenty of water. Hydrometer said 1245 to 1260 on all cells, multimeter said 12.56 volts. The positive post has darkened considerably but I don't see any corrosion. The top of the case was damp.<br /><br />Just to clarify, I took this battery out of the boat & put it in the garage Saturday morning and it's been wheezing like this ever since. Hasn't been on a charger lately, other than very brief use Friday afternoon, with a 6-amp unregulated outboard alternator, never even got out of the no-wake zone.<br /><br />I'm gonna monitor it daily between now & Saturday and if it continues to test ok, I'm using it this weekend. I will have two other batteries in the boat just in case.<br /><br />Any other ideas?<br /><br />thanks!

John McFarlane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds like the battery could have been warm, and when you put it in the garage it started to cool, and the cooling process is introducing tiny amounts of air into the battery through the caps, and the caps/cap had some fluid in it which has created a soft gurgle/pop/click sound.<br />Could this be close?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

John, that describes the sound perfectly.<br /><br />thanks,

John McFarlane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then there is nothing wrong with the battery.<br />If it is still performing as it should, then it could last another many years.<br /><br />Never spend money unless you have to.<br /><br />I have found that you have to be discerning with advice obtained at no cost or from those who purport to know. 30 years as an Auto Electrician and dealing with clients who swear that 'the problem is......' then trying to convince them that the problem is elsewhere and a nes battery/starter/alternator/wiring harness/etc will not solve their problem leads me to believe that sometimes a little money spent now can save a lot later.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

thanks John, it performed perfectly on Saturday & no more symptoms. <br /><br />Hang out on iboats awhile, you get an idea of who knows what they're talking about, and whether advice is based on conjecture, theory, opinion, experience, whatever. :) Plus which, the quality of advice you give is limited by the accuracy of my description of the symptoms. :)