Best place to mount GPS antenna

Patty Pooh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I Have been shopping for a gps fishfinder combo for my new 05 Trophy 2002. I have decided to get the Lowrance LMS-337c DF. My problem is Lowrance only comes with an exteral antenna and I dont have a hard top to mount it. I was was coming close to buying a similar Garmin unit that had an internal antenna but did'nt like the detail. That is one nice thing about garmin is they have the internal antenna. Where is the best place to mount my external antena?

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best place to mount GPS antenna

Any place w/ a clear view of the sky, I have mine mounted on the deck right in front of the windshield. Some place where you, or anybody else won't kick or step on it. Good luck, Joe

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it doesn't have it included, you can buy a rail mount for it, had mine on stbd rail just in front of winsheild, should give you better reception than internal antenea.<br /><br /> Jim

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Only one thing that is absolutely imperative........mount it above the waterline :)

JRJ

Commander

Are you going to have a VHF antenna? I have my GPS antenna on a rachet mount also.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The best location is a place where antenna has a 360 degree view of the horzion. If you have a soft top you can usually mount it under the top also. Somewhere near the top of your windsheild is a good location. If it was a internal antenna it would be mounted where ever you mount your LMS-337C. Best thing to do is hook up the power, hook up the antenna then turn the unit on and move the antenna around boat until you find a place where the antenna gets a good 360 degree view. Make sure it is not a location where lines will get snagged on it and it is out of the way. <br /><br />Most times you can mount about anywhere and get a good GPS signal. Even if you mounted it right along side the cab you would still get enough signals to find your postion. What you would not be able to get is the WAAS birds that improve accuracy. These two birds are low on the horzion and over the equator 23,000 miles high in geostationary orbit. So if some solid structure on the boat blocks your view of the southern horzion and your can not pick up the WAAS bird then accuracy will be about 30 feet. If you can pick up the WAAS bird then accuracy about 10 feet.<br /><br />With a external antenna you can always find a better location than with a internal antenna.

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mount it in the clear and away from large metalic objects that might distort the antenna pattern and then the GPS should work pretty good. I have used Vhf as well as HF radios and not had any ill effect on the functioning of the GPS