arcing battery post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arcing battery post

Hi guys, I think i may have a problem, whene i hooked up my boat battery there was an arc at the post whene the second cable was connected all switches wer off.It's been a week since battery has been in boat and it seems to be full charge, is this normal? thanks J,C,

Re: arcing battery post

No, definately not normal, unless...you reversed the polarity. Happened to me once.
    It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Comment

An arc when connecting the second bat terminal [-] is normal, but doesn't always happen.See similar thread with more info here: http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...;f=27;t=002154

Comment

If you have a clock, radio with memory, automatic bilge pump, any of those may draw power when you made the connection.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys for the reply. this set up is on a single battery setup,does this make a diference? J C.

Comment

thank upinsmoke. yes i have a cd player with memory and clock. J C.

Comment

They don't draw much power but you would notice a little arc. If the arc is more substantial, listen for the bilge pump. If its running, the float switch may be stuck.

Comment

Working...
              X