Mounting two transducers on transom???

wallyevs012

Seaman Apprentice
I currently have a Garmin 160 mounted near the stern of my Lund 16' Alaskan (Tiller model) which I use when operating boat & while trolling. I also have a less expensive Bottom Line mounted at the bow with a trolling motor transducer that I use when casting for Bass. I want to put the Garmin on the bow, but I don't want a trolling motor transducer and I'm getting a new Lowrance LMS-332c to mount near the stern. My question is can I mount two transom mount transducers about two or three inches from each other as long as none of the ribs block it on the bottom hull (boat is Aluminum). My reasoning is that I have a Minn Kota Power Drive trolling motor (without the sensor) and a trolling motor transducer mount is a pain when using the motor. Any help or suggestions appreciated. If I have to, I could mount it on the opposite side of the transom, but <br />I have a large mounting board glued to the hull and have ample room to mount both on that side. I'm just not sure about interference etc. Thank you for any help.....Wally

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Mounting two transducers on transom???

You can mount them 3 inches apart as long as only one unit is turn on at a time. If you do that I would suggest you put in a power switch with a on, center off, on. Wire power to each fish finder to one of the on postion. This way you will never be able to turn both on at the same time. Mounted that close I feel the transmit from one unit could overload the receiver for the other unit. You will never be able run both unit at the same time anyway.

wallyevs012

Seaman Apprentice

Boatist,<br /> Thanks for the fast reply. This seems complicated as I would at times like to run both at the same time. Guess I can live with mounting on the trolling motor. Garmin sells a TM Transducer for 60.00, but I should be able to fing JUST a mount and use my current transom mount transducer (or could I???) Thank you, Wally

wallyevs012

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Boatist:<br /> You can mount them 3 inches apart as long as only one unit is turn on at a time. If you do that I would suggest you put in a power switch with a on, center off, on. Wire power to each fish finder to one of the on postion. This way you will never be able to turn both on at the same time. Mounted that close I feel the transmit from one unit could overload the receiver for the other unit. You will never be able run both unit at the same time anyway.

wallyevs012

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Boatist:<br /> You can mount them 3 inches apart as long as only one unit is turn on at a time. If you do that I would suggest you put in a power switch with a on, center off, on. Wire power to each fish finder to one of the on postion. This way you will never be able to turn both on at the same time. Mounted that close I feel the transmit from one unit could overload the receiver for the other unit. You will never be able run both unit at the same time anyway.

Laddies

Banned

I service a boat that is used in salmon tounaments and he has 4 transducers mounted on his transom and uses them togather most of the time, I am not sure of the brands but know at lest 2 are Garmins

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Laddiesservice<br />If you have any details about this would love to here it explained.<br />Too me mounting two tranducers of the same Frequency next to each other is like one guy useing a cone like a chearleader would use only held up to the ear to here better. While the guy next to him is useing a 500 watt bull horn pointed right at him. The guy trying to here will here at first but in a very short time will not be able to here at all as his hearing will be dammage.<br />The fish finder puts out a ping then switches to a amplified listen mode trying to here echos off fish and the bottom. At this time if a second unit put out a ping I belive it could easily overload the first units receiver. At any rate the first unit will here this signal and display it on it screen but since the second unit ping has no relation ship to the first units ping the signal displayed will have no meaning at all.<br /><br />It may be posible to run 2 units operation on different frequency but even then I would not want transducer that close. Units with dual frequency do have both transducer in the same case but it know when each unit is going to transmit and can shut down the receiver for that time Like putting a finger in your ear.<br /><br />Anyway if you have any details on boat you are talking about many would love to here about it.<br /><br />My boat has 2 transducer mounted on the tansom about 4 inches apart also. One is a 20 degree cone angle used up to about 150 feet of salt water. The other is a 8 degree transducer used from about 150 feet to 500 feet. However I switch to the right one and only have one in use at a time.

Laddies

Banned

I don't know, I only know that they work, maybe they are differant frequency, I don't install them and he is in Florida for the winter( wish I was some where warmer myself) or I would get ahold of him and find out--Bob I wonder if you installed one and then dangled the other in the water if you could find out how close they could be? I don't know

Bondo

Staff member

I've got an Eagle on 1 side of the transom,+ a Hummingbird on the otherside........ Both 200mhz......<br /><br />I run them both All the time......... No Problems........