Wiring Up A Horn

Henry Zerdzicki

Recruit
Can anyone help me with a wiring diagram for installing a horn for my boat.I have installed a fuse block and my other electronics to it except my horn which I am not sure of.What kind of switch should I use and how should I wire up the horn with this switch from the fuse block.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Wiring Up A Horn

You would wire it the same way except you would use a momentary switch. Use the appropriate size wire and fuse as per the horn and you should be good to go.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Henry,<br /><br />You may also need a horn relay. Pick up a generic at the local auto parts store. That relay will prevent arcing and burning in the switch due to the high amps that horns draw. Run a hot lead to the relay load side, then from the relay horn side to the horn. The other terminal run to the switch, then switch to ground. They are usually labeled L(load) S(switch) and H(horn) on the relay. <br /><br />Without a relay, the quick little beep-beep's will burn the switch. The relay pictured in the link is usually available for 3 to 7 dollars at the parts store.<br /><br /> [url]http://users.clarkston.com/randyll/soren24.JPG <br /><br />[/URL]

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you use the relay that Mark stated, you should have no problem. If you use another type of relay, make sure the contact ratings are at least 10 amps. <br /><br />The same thing can be accomplished if you use a horn button wired directly to the horn. This is because the contacts on the button are rated to take the current.