minn kota 65 auto pilot going crazy!

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I have a 65# minn kota auto pilot that will keep it's heading for a little bit, then goes crazy and starts turning in circles. I have had the thing into the repair shop 2 times and it still does this. Of Course, it usually waits until i am at the back of the boat and can't get to it easily. Does anyone else have this problem. If so, what eventually fixed it? thanks,<br />Steve

kalan2000

Seaman Apprentice
Re: minn kota 65 auto pilot going crazy!

I have seen this also on my PD55AP. The first time it happened, I chalked it up to a low battery. The second time I had good batteries and I figured it was some localized interference that affected the compass that controls the AP. I took the AP off and later turned it back on in another area and had no problems. Does this occur consistently at the same location, but not at others? Heavy iron deposits or other magnetic interference can affect a compass/flux valve to the point that it becomes unreliable. Just a theory...

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it doesn't seem likt hte problem has any kind of pattern, but i will pay more attention to it and make sure to check for any kind of magnetic interference. thanks for the info,<br />Steve

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry about the typing there, guess my brain was going a bit slower than my hands.

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

wrestler20,<br />I too have a 65 AP power drive, had same problem. Have you changed anything since installation? Any metallic objects near the head in the deployed position? Hit any big bumps in the road or punishing waves in the lake? Either will knock it out of calibration. Take it to a Minn Kota repair shop to have it re-calibrated. It's not something you can do at home. If they can't re-calibrate it may need a new circuit board, mine was defective. JD