How to wire a 24 volt trolling motor??

tprice

Seaman Apprentice
I have just purchased a new minn kota autopilot for my boat. I am a little confused on how to wire it to the batteries<br />I will mount my 2 batteries in the console area and I have purchased enough 6 ga wire for this.<br /><br />I understand from the instructions on to hook the batteries together. I have several questions if somone could help.<br /><br />1-my plug in has 3 wires and the TM has 2, how do I connect to the plug in<br /><br />2-do I need a bus bar ar the front of the boat for connections and if so why and what size?<br /><br />3-I also have a 40 amp breaker where do I install this, IE near the battery on the positive leg???<br /><br />4-I also have a 2 bank onboard charger how do I hook this up with the batteries wired in a series??<br /><br />Thanks for any help ahed of time, this is going to be my weekend project

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to wire a 24 volt trolling motor??

I have two boats, both with 24 volt trolling systems. One was pre-wired with a jumper at the battery and two leads to the trolling motor. The other has a total of 4 wires in parallel with the 12-24 volt (series) jumpering done at the 4-prong trolling motor receptacle. Make sure you know what you have before you start.<br />Are you saying that your plug-in/receptacle has three wires already connected or that you have three terminal lugs with provision for three wires? Do you have a plug that matches the receptacle? Is the receptacle already installed, pre-wired? If there are already feed wires coming off your receptacle, STOP! Check with your dealer, owners manual, etc. <br />With the following set-up you only need a total of two wires/leads coming from both batteries other than the jumper.<br />Jumper from the positive of battery A to the negative of battery B. Come off the positive side of battery B then connect/splice in your circuit breaker at/near the battery. This will lead to your positive at the trolling motor receptacle. The negative of battery A will go to your negative at the trolling motor receptacle.<br />Just make sure when you wire the plug and receptacle that black is to black and red is to red. You shouldn't need a bus bar. <br />READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL FIRST!<br />Your OB charger should have 2 separate pair of leads, one red and one black per pair. Connect the red from one pair to battery A positive and the black from the same pair to the negative of battery A. Use the other pair the same way for battery B.