New Hunninbird Piranha sounders

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Does anyone have one of these? How do you like, how does it work for you. I am looking at a small, and I mean as small as possible fish finder for the purpose of identifying bottom structure only.<br /><br />I have an in-dash depth finder but like to see what the bottom looks like when in the shallows.<br /><br />Thanks in advance

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: New Hunninbird Piranha sounders

Pointer, this is the sworn truth. Last week I went to purchase a depthfinder at my local West Marine dealership. They told me they sold 10 Piranha depth finders and 9 came back. This was just in a few weeks time. Two different salesman gave me the exact same story on different sides of the store. They had no reason to lie to me, since I hadn't considered that one for purchase anyway.<br /><br />I would stay away from them based on that fact.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

hey, WITF,<br /><br />Thanks for the heads up. I'll just cross that one off the list. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Have the pirana3 - I'm satisfied with the depth reading and structure ID, specially in shallow water since I've confirmed the manually up to five or six feet depth. Manual says it only reads 3 ft & deeper but I've gotten accurate readings down to 1 foot. I haven't yet got it to register at any speed over idle but they say it's a matter of transducer angle. It's serviceable, but it's really more like a child's toy than a real tool. Probably worth the price if that's all you need it for. <br /><br />Hey, maybe 90% of the customers at waterinthefuel's West Marine are iboats members who bought before reading all the H/B threads!<br /><br />jtw

waterinthefuel

Commander

No problem Pointer, I'm just glad to save you the money, and more importantly, the hassle of having to install and learn how to use a unit only to have it not live up to your expectations. Uninstalling a sealed up transducer and having to pull all the wires up just plain sucks, so if I can save you that effort, it made it worthwhile for me.