New Hunninbird Piranha sounders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hunninbird Piranha sounders

Does anyone have one of these? How do you like, how does it work for you. I am looking at a small, and I mean as small as possible fish finder for the purpose of identifying bottom structure only.I have an in-dash depth finder but like to see what the bottom looks like when in the shallows.Thanks in advance

Re: New Hunninbird Piranha sounders

Pointer, this is the sworn truth. Last week I went to purchase a depthfinder at my local West Marine dealership. They told me they sold 10 Piranha depth finders and 9 came back. This was just in a few weeks time. Two different salesman gave me the exact same story on different sides of the store. They had no reason to lie to me, since I hadn't considered that one for purchase anyway.I would stay away from them based on that fact.

Comment

hey, WITF,Thanks for the heads up. I'll just cross that one off the list.

Comment

Have the pirana3 - I'm satisfied with the depth reading and structure ID, specially in shallow water since I've confirmed the manually up to five or six feet depth. Manual says it only reads 3 ft & deeper but I've gotten accurate readings down to 1 foot. I haven't yet got it to register at any speed over idle but they say it's a matter of transducer angle. It's serviceable, but it's really more like a child's toy than a real tool. Probably worth the price if that's all you need it for. Hey, maybe 90% of the customers at waterinthefuel's West Marine are iboats members who bought before reading all the H/B threads!jtw
        It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Comment

No problem Pointer, I'm just glad to save you the money, and more importantly, the hassle of having to install and learn how to use a unit only to have it not live up to your expectations. Uninstalling a sealed up transducer and having to pull all the wires up just plain sucks, so if I can save you that effort, it made it worthwhile for me.

Comment

Working...
          X