electric trollingmotor recommendations for 14 ft jon boat

Bowfin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at getting a bow mount electric trolling motor for trolling my 14 ft jon boat that i push with a 9.9 Gamefisher.<br />What size shaft and thrust should I get? <br />Is a transom mount the easiset to mount? <br />How do I get the motor handle reveresed to run off of the front of the boat? Seems most transom mount motors are designed to run from the rear of the boat. <br />If I can get by with a 30" shaft, I can get a motor for under $100. <br />Anybody use a 30" shaft 30 Lbs thrust motor on their Jon?<br /><br />Bowfin

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: electric trollingmotor recommendations for 14 ft jon boat

Maybe this will help. Depends on the boat whether you would want to mount a transom mount or not. On a Johnboat, a transom mount would work fine. 30 LBS will do fine, unless you fish in open water with alot of wind.<br /><br /> web page

John Nutter

Seaman Apprentice

Bowfin, I don't think you will want anything under 36lb. of thrust in a motor. To use a transom mount on the bow you simply reverse the head of the motor by taking the screw that holds it to the shaft and turn the head 180 degrees put the screw back in and you are ready. You also need to mount a rudder to the transom to help control the boat and keep it from over steering.This can be done with an old paddle or you can build one with an old trolling motor shaft with a board attached.You can get a 36lb. motor with a 30" shaft or a longer one can be shortened if need be.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

i picked up a motorguide 32 lbs thrust from walmart for 90 bucks transom mount. works great i can almost get on plane with that bad boy hahaha no really its plenty fast and has 5 speeds with reverse.remember your only trolling with it. but works great for a backup motor also beats paddling in if you have motor problems

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class

me and my brother used to fish out of a 14 footer with only an 8 (yea thats right 8 :eek: :eek: ) pound thrust trolling motot and it did fine...you couldnt get in a big hurry but thats why we fish isnt it to slow down and enjoy nature?? i have a 36 pounder on that boat now and it is almost too fast for the lake i fish...no wake lake....so it up to you....

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I don't use a gas anymore. I would if I could afford a good one. Even with al the help on here I can't make an old junker a jewel. Right now I use a 27 lb. I would like to upgrade to a 45-50 lb only because its my only way around the lake. When the gas worked good the 27 was plenty.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

And that's that!

Bowfin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advice. I figure my gas motor should work ok as a rudder when i am trolling. Looking forward to getting it on there. I currently use oars, but they are pretty slow in a fully loaded jon with me and my Dad, gas motor, gas tank, and fishing gear. They also make too much noise. I'm going to put a small deck on the bow of my Jon this weekend, so i'll have to take that into consideration for the shaft length.<br /><br />Bowfin

Kenneth Brown

Captain

That will work good. I have a "casting deck" on my 14 jon. It was originally put on for a bow mount motor, 52 lb. My dad thought it was a 24 volt system, it WAS a 12. It only lasted a few days. Man would that bugger fly! We could go about 14-15 mph with it. It was real scary whenever you took off because it just jumped out from under ya. I fell off the back once, then I learned to hold on. Now I just use my 27 lb minnkota.

walleyehed

Admiral

I would imagine the windings in that armature got a little on the warmish side....... :D <br />Pretty bad when you have to consider Rake and cup on your trolling motor prop!!!! :D

dixie420

Seaman Apprentice

i have a 47lb motorguide on my 14ft fiberglass boat. wind is not a problem, i also have a 3 bladed prop, i dont know whats its called the words washed off along time ago but its a motorguide motor. i did have a 17lb minnkota, it was more like a gentle breeze blowing you down the lake and the wores got real hot after running it for along time. get a big one i also say at least 30lb or more, you wont be sorry.<br /><br />oh i almost forgot about the mounting. if you put it on the transom, yeah it will probably be easier to mount, and you wont need a rudder if its on the transom pushing forward. if you put it on the bow you will have much better control over the boat especially in the wind but the only downside is you have to have a rudder on the transom or the back of the boat trys to pass the bow. you said you had a gas motor so you would probably be much happier with a bow mount. thats where i always fish from anyway i dont know about everyone else. i have a starting battery in the back of my boat and a trolling battery in the front.