garmin 235 fish finder not working

cmitchell

Cadet
I have a Garmin 235 that the depth finder stopped working.It constantly reads 700-900 feet.I had the unit checked and they said it is not my transducer.The shop said that they can't work on the unit but Garmin will fix and update the unit for $200.00 flat rate.I know that this is the smart way to go but I spend so much money on my boat that if I can open it up and sodder a wire or replace a fuse than my wife might keep me around a little while longer. :) Thanks for any suggestions

John Nutter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: garmin 235 fish finder not working

Only my opinion but I would not open it and try to fix,especially without the schematic

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Clifton<br />I would not open it up as most units a filled with nitrogen to protect from water vapor.<br />I think I would try and reload the firmware. Is unit a GPSMAP235 sounder? I did not see a straight 235 sounder on their web site. Contact Garmin and see what they suggest as the best way to go.<br /><br /> http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap235s/download.html

cmitchell

Cadet

Thanks Boatist,it is a gps235map and I read on the garmin web site about how I could down load the upgrades for free which also rests the unit.I thought that maybe this would fix my little depth problem.My only problem is that I don't have the proper cables for power and for the usb port.Where do I buy those?Thanks again for everyones help :D :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Should be able to get them at the Garmin site.<br /><br />I know Magellan has different things for their's.

Boatist

Rear Admiral