charging 12 volt parallel

kwelch

Recruit
I have a 2 bank charger and I want to run my batteries in parallel but have a question about charging them using both banks. If the batteries are hooked up parallel, can I use a bank per battery while they are connected in parallel. Or do I need to disconnect the parallel connection before I charge them. If I have to disconnect before charging would it make more sence to buy a A/B/Both switch?

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: charging 12 volt parallel

Most (not all) two bank chargers are really just one charger with two outouts isolated by diodes. It should not be a problem to charge both banks when they are in parallel. If you're worried, you can just disconnect one of the charging wires but I wouldn't be concerned.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: charging 12 volt parallel

Charging in parallel is usually not a problem as long as the batteries are the same type and age and therefore the charging characteristics would be about the same. Be warned that if one were to develop a problem like a bad cell then it would have a negative impact on the other as well, ie:both batteries would never fully charge. Since you have a 2 bank charger I would get the battery switch and wire the charger output to the same terminals as the battery inputs, that way no matter where the switch pos is 1,2,B,off the batteries are still connected to the charger.