problem with fuses for vhf radio

popeyefoghorn

Seaman
My neighbour at the marina gave me his vhf radio when his wife bought him a new one for his b-day. He had a 8A fuse in it. When I wired it into my boat ('78 Chris Craft Express 281) I could not get it to come on until I put a 10A fuse in it. Then everything was fine. Is this OK, what does this mean?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: problem with fuses for vhf radio

Mr. Foghorn, it sounds like to me that maybe the 8amp fuse was blown.<br /><br />If you had juice and it was not blowing the 8amp fuses, then it should have came on with no problem.<br /><br />Does the manufacturer call for a 8amp fuse?

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: problem with fuses for vhf radio

Hi PopeyeFoghorn, couple of possibilities, first and foremost; the 8amp fuse had to be bad or it would have worked at least for a while even if the 8amp was too small, or possibly a dirty fuse holder connection that was cleaned by using another fuse. I've seen many fuses that looked good but were bad, best way to check in the circuit is connect a volt meter between ground and each end of the fuse with the power to the fuse turned on, a good fuse will show full voltage to both ends, one end dead means a blown fuse, both ends dead means no power. Good luck,