best finder under $500

beach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Whats the best finder I can get for under $500 with ducer. I would like speed and temp. Mostly fish lakes, river and bay.<br /><br />Thanks

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: best finder under $500

Beach, check out the Eagle SeaCharter 320df, I was thinking about getting this one myself. I own the 320 right now but this one has the GPS with map also. Seems pretty good if you have limited space like I do. I fish in lakes that are 300ft deep and in the ocean to about 150ft in my 12 foot aluminum with the eagle 320 and have had no problems at all. I purchased mine through Cabelas, I also got the ram mount and like it a lot. I put an extra ball mount and transducer on the trolling motor and switch it out when I fish for bass and stripers in the lakes.....Good luck and post what you get....Warren

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have a hummingbird,way under 500$ gives temp,speed,depth,fish,alarm etc Charlie

beach

Petty Officer 1st Class

How accurate is it for reading the bottom, sand, rocky etc.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

It is very accurate and if it is not you can adjust it to be as accurate as you want.I found this out when it read 3ft and when i jumped in it was almost over my head.Charlie

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Beach<br />I agree with warren the Eagle products are very good for Shallow water. If you are only fishing the Folsom, Sacramento River, Delta and Bay then you do not need Dual Frequency. Near the Golden Gate and the 680 bridge due get salt water in the 100 foot range where dual Frequency may be a help. Also the wider cone angle of the 50 Khz tranducer can be better for finding fish in the shallow water with flat bottoms like the Delta, Suisun and San Pablo bays. If you think you will ever go offshore out of Bodega or San Francisco Bay then you need to get a dual Frequency unit for sure.<br /><br />Eagle FishMark 320 is a good unit. About $200 plus $60 for speed and temp. Eagle and Lowrance really the same company and location. One nice thing about them is you can go to there web site and down load a simulator so you can see how it works. They also have a good totdorial. <br /><br />About your bottom question, all units will help you tell the difference between hard and soft bottoms but it is a skill that some never master. A hard bottom (rocks) will return a strong wide bottom signal, while a soft bottom (mud) will return a weaker narrow signal. Most units do have a offset to adjust to get accurate depth reading but I prefer to know how much water I have under the bottom of the hull so I never adjust.<br /><br />I do not like to say anything bad about products so will say nothing about hummingbird.<br /><br />If you want to buy Local check out Fisherman's Warehouse on Folsom. They have some good people that will help you pick what best for you. They are usually the same price as Cabela's or Bass Pro. Also check the prices here on this board.<br /><br />Check out these links. Take your time picking a unit and ask lots of Questions.<br /><br /> http://www.eaglegps.com/Products/Sonar/fishmark320.htm <br /><br /> http://www.lowrance.com/ <br /><br /> http://www.lowrance.com/Tutorials/Sonar/sonar_tutorial_01.asp