Broken Trolling Motor?

This is weird. Trolling motor 1980 magnum worked perfect then boat set in backyard for the last 12 years. I thought it would work. I plugged it in to a old battery and the propeller turned slowly if I gave it a nudge. I now bought a new battery and it doesn't work at all. I used ohms meter and it has power. What could it be?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Broken Trolling Motor?

kdxrider <br /><br />Condensation over time probably rusted the armature and magnets in the motor housing causing it to lose magnetic field. If you can get it apart and clean it up, you may have a good chance it will work again.

dixie420

Seaman Apprentice

say it sat for 12 years ? man thats a sit. i agree with rick here, condensation, and electrical corrosion in general caused the motor to quit. however, cleaning a magnet will not recharge the field, if this is the case, a new motor would be the best solution. but i do think that cleaning the motor will get it to working again. more than likely most if not all connections are corroded, (corrosion around a terminal will rob 10% of your power, 4 terminals, thats 40%) open it up and check it out. take your meter and make sure all those connections have continuity when they are supposed to and dont when they arent.

I forgot to mention that it was inside for the past 12 years. The thing looks brand new. No corrosion on electronics. the motor (propeller) housing was sealed tight. No broken paint at joints. I pulled one side off and its sparkling clean and plenty of greas on the shaft. Today I'll try to get the other end off..

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

this reply is probably to late...but the last trolling motor I had apart the brushes were difficult to reinstall. In order to hold the brushes in when putting it back together, I taped some pieces of cardboard over the brushes with a tab sticking out so when it was almost together, I could pull the cardboard out and the brushes would be securely in their place.

dixie420

Seaman Apprentice

good advice about installing those brushes karrick, something else though, alof of brush holders have a tiny hole in them to insert a small pin to hold the brushes until you have it put mostly together. this is not always the case and sometimes other things are required (ie-cardboard) cardboard will also prevent scarring the brush or motor. kdxrider this might also be to late but maybe your problem is small and being overlooked if the motor is in that good of shape, it only takes one fault to shut the whole thing down.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I always used sewing thread to hold back brushes in starters, alternators etc.<br />Worked for me.