riptide - vs- great white

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Planning to get a trolling motor for my 18' c/c bay boat ... wondering which brand and model i should go with ? Heard good things about the minn kota, but most of the dealers i've spoken to carry the great white and stand by that? I like the looks of the Minn Kota better and it seems to be constructed a bit nicer. Any opinions/experience?. I'll probably go with a tiller control 50-52 inch - not sure if i need the 24 volt system or not? Also, should i go with the 5 speed or variable control - I've heard that the riostat (sp?) can go out on the variable models... any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: riptide - vs- great white

I was shopping for either at the beginning of the season. I made up a pro's and con's list for both and the 12/24/36 debate too. <br /><br />The MK has the composite shaft, 360 degree breakaway and a free gear bag as mail in rebate.<br /><br />The Great white has the steel shaft, may be heavier.<br /><br />I went with a 36 volt MK. Ordered the 24 volt 52" and it wasn't long enough. Boaters world took a return after I cut off the leads, and at the last minute I reordered 36 volts as well as 62" shaft.<br /><br />Think brands are a local thing. Up here all I see is Minn Kotas, yet I talked to a few people down south who liked their MG's.<br /><br />I think you need the 24 volt though. Biggest mistake is ordering too small. And some catalogs/stores didn't know that some MK riptides can be ordered with or without the "Bowguard 360". Advantage to not having that would be removal without lugging the heavy bracket too. :confused: <br /><br />Here's a few links, good luck, and do some more "searches", have fun either way.... :D <br /><br /> http://www.bassangler.com/articles/crawford/paul-tm.htm <br /><br /> http://www.bowfishiowa.com/TrollingMotors101.htm <br /><br /> http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc3/tedg.html <br /><br /> http://www.fishgeek.com/article_markm.html <br /><br /> http://www.gcomag.com/092k1/kilpatrickweb.htm

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Cap'n for the info! I will check out the links and hopefully that will narrow it down for me. You mentioned that the 52" was too short and that you went with the 62" - wondering what kind of boat you were mounting to? I think the specs on the 52" indicated 22-28" inches from deck to waterline. I'm pretty close to the 28" with my Gulf coast, and wonder if i should go with the 62". I did speak with two dealers though who said they mount the 50" Motorguide? I'm thinking the 52" should be fine. Here in Texas we don't experience the tide changes/currents that you guys do, so I think the 24v ought to be plenty of motor.<br /><br />Thanks again!<br /><br />*Haven't checked the links yet, is there a difference in how quiet the two brands are?

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 20' Lund, measured roughly 28" too, but I was probably measuring 6" back from the bow. I knew I was near the max for the short shaft but after mounting, and realizing the bow is at an angle, and the shaft is up in front of the bow.....<br /><br />First time I used it no problems, second time I was in some chop and wasn't happy hearing the prop come out of the water every time the boat rocked!<br /><br />Definately go 24 volts. If I remember right the MG makes an 82 vs. MK's 74. But 52" was too short for me, the 50" may be close for you on the MG. Don't really see a downside to the 60". Unless you lug it upstairs to your room for safekeeping like I do.... :D :D :D

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would imagine the 60" would give you a more comfortable height to steer from with a tiller control - downside might be that is gets in the way while casting?

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good point with the tiller being at a "comfortable" height. I have a casting platform up front so not having to bend over while steering is a plus. And I have yet for it to interfere with casting.

SoulWinner

Commander

and the Great White may cause your boat to burst into flame :D

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Took me a minute, must be a musician's joke.........

wezie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Length will add only a few oz..<br />Check it closely if you intend to go short (50 or 52). I thought the length on deck would be worse with the longer shaft. It is, but the whole thing on the bow is a mess and the extra few inches add only a bit more to it.<br />You will lose inches quickly as you install it, and as you move about the boat; and may end up with a motor that will tolerate NO wave action.<br />The deeper the prop, the less it will come out and thus the quieter it will be.<br />The height of the control head is a factor also.<br />Good Luck!

John Nutter

Seaman Apprentice

Also on the hand control model you may want to look at a product called Pro-Control it is a push-pull steering handle made for hand controls,IMHO this is the best product made since the trolling motor itself. I have always ran H/C motors and when I saw it WOW it don't matter what it cost I want one! I have been a dealer now for 4 years and never had to take one back(sold with a 90 days buy back offer plus 1 year warranty)

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I started complaining about the 52" inch not being long enough, Minn Kota suggested I take it to a repair center and dish out the dough for a longer replacement shaft. When looking at the parts list, which is available online, I realized both halves of the 62" bracket were 10 inches longer as well, to give it the same proportionate support as the 52. So it's probably 8 pounds heavier due to the cast aluminum's weight. <br /><br />And I figured an aluminum Lund would not need the 62 but I was wrong...................

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the feedback - haven't checked posts for a while so I'm just now getting back. Do any of you know what the total length/width of the Minn Kota 74lb./62in. 360 mounting bracket is and how long the total length the 62" model will be once it's raised onto the boat deck in the horozontal position? I'd like to measure my bow deck space and see if it will fit before i buy it.<br /><br />Thx!

lmcmullan

Cadet

Don't know about your length issue but wanted to comment on the MG's. My Pops uses them (emphasis on the plural). He has been through 4 in the last 5 years. The culprit seems to be the electronic board on the variable speed.<br /><br />I noticed MK bragging that their RT has a sealed board to prevent this. The 5 speed MG GW may not have this problem with simpler controls. The MK RT also has a 3 year warranty.<br /><br />The only reason why he keeps buying MG is no MK authorized repair shop is close by. Don't overlook that aspect in either choice.<br /><br />I will probably gamble on a MK in the near future since my Pops has had such a pleasant expirience with MG.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

spete,<br /><br />I don't have any measurements for you, and the Red Sox are on tonight, I could measure a few things this weekend though. I have some digital pictures, of the 52" I returned, but they'll give you a good idea of what it looks like when it's raised up on the deck. You can email me if you want them.<br /><br />mtowey@analogic.com