Transducers

wgr270

Cadet
Anybody have any imput on thru-hull transducers?<br />My understanding is there is one type that you literally drill through the bottom of your boat which kinda scares me.Then there is another that shoots the signal through the hull that just mounts on the inside of the hull.<br />Has anyone ever used this type and how well do they work.<br /><br />Thank you!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Transducers

Thru hull (drill a hole in bottom :eek: ) transducers are the best way to go if your a serious fisherman and need good strong echos... <br /><br />Don't let drilling a big hole in the bottom scare ya... I know it's a little nerve racking...<br /><br /> Make sure the area you wish to mount the transducer, both inside the bilge and outside the bottom; is clean of paint, oil, fuel, whatever... Follow the install instructions and use plenty of 3M 5200 sealant on all the surfaces... (note: 3M 5200 can take up to a week to fully cure, so plan acordingly) It'll never leak...<br /><br />Shoot thru transducers work ok for simple depth readings, but the signal is quite degraded... Not good for finding fish and reading bottom content... Shoot thru transducers can also be difficult to install correctly, especially in boats that have a core material between the layers of fiberglass...

retnug

Cadet

What about location on the bottom. If there is no flat (horizontal) place. Can they be mounted on the v=part of the hull and still work. Won't it be scanning at an angle?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

If the surface is not flat/level, you can still install a thru hull thransducer, but you would have to use a fairing block to make the transducer straight up and down...<br />
KH_transducer2.jpg