Minn Kota auto pilot

wkg1971

Recruit
I have a Minn Kota AP 24V 65, the autopilot is great when it works, but often it just starts turning (usually left) and doesn't stop unless I cancel the autopilot. MK tells me my compass board is out of sync. There are only two adjustment pots on the board, does anyone have any knowledge about the problem and cure?

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Minn Kota auto pilot

The local serivce guy told me the most common reason for this is when the autopilot is turned on when the bow is high or the motor is mounted at an angle. As I understood it the unit has to be reasonably level when turned on or the compass doesn't aquire the correct bearing. Makes some sense to me.

wkg1971

Recruit

I have checked the angle and it is right on. The problem happens on smooth or rough water, there does't seem to be any common factors to predict when it will happen. The only thing I have noticed is that if I tap the trolling motor head it usually takes off and raps the cord around the shaft unless I stop it by shutting the auto pilot off. Does anyone know what the two adjustment screws on the compass board do? <br />Thanks

John Nutter

Seaman Apprentice

These are compass adj. screws but you need to take it to a service center, that is why they are there and also the motor comes with a 2 year warranty.Don't try these adj. yourself you can get these out so bad they can't be brought back into adjustment,and besides that may not be your problem