minkota auto pilot

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class
i recently purchassed an autopilot from a co-worker.has a minor cosmetic ding or two but works great.dont know the year but is a 36lb thrust.wondering what they run new.and could anyone tell me how the auto pilot works?got a great deal either way going to let this thread run a bit before i tell what i paid for it.otherwise i may get run out of the county.

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: minkota auto pilot

I'm guessing since your Minn Kota is only 36# thrust its probably 5-10 years old. They ran about $300-$350 back then. It would probably sell for around $100 where I'm from since there is always good used trolling motors around here for cheap.<br />I bought a used Minn Kota Genesis about a 1 1/2 years ago for only $300 (retailed for $1200). I used it for a season and then sold it on Ebay for $710.<br />It had auto pilot and it worked by holding down a button until the AP letters came up. Since yours doesn't have a digital display I'm sure there has to be a button on the pedal for auto pilot. I only used mine in the CON (continuos) mode (MOM is momentary). <br />You will know when the AP is working when the trolling motor is running and the head is moving in small side to side increments by itself.<br />The AP feature works great in open water but otherwise I found it useless.

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One note/glitch that was brought to my attention. If the bow is riding high when the autopilot is turned on it will occasionally have trouble keeping its bearing and try to turn you in circles. Not a serious problem but an occasional nuisance.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the replies.and TY for the link JB.guess if i had looked a bit more i probably wouldnt have posted this but oh well.the on off switch is indeed on the unit itself and not on the foot control.there is no digital device showing only a low batt indicater.and a speed control witch is of the sliding type.surprised that is would be that old buy it still works great so im not concerned with age.ok I only recieved one price for possible worth.as i said i recieved a great deal on this .$15.00.he also has another motor for the same price it is a 40lb motorguide hand controlled bow mount with a foot control for the speed.runs good just a few cosmetic stuff.thinking i may buy it as well.bet i could get 25 for it in a garage sale.10 profit woohoo.lol

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wish I had sprung for the autopilot. Have the pd love it, but cant take timeout to rerig my pole without getting turned around. Auto pilot almost doubles the price but worth it. :)

fishinlooney

Cadet

I agree with oberboat. I wouldn't buy one without autopilot. You don't have to "unsteer". It's worth every penny!