Minn kota Auto pilot feature

raymondmoyer

Seaman
I'm in the market for a new trolling motor. I have narrowed it down to the minn kota power drive series. I have noticed about a $100-$200 price increase for the auto pilot feature. Is this feature worth the extra money ? Thanks in advance. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Minn kota Auto pilot feature

For the way I fish, Ray, Auto Pilot is priceless.<br /><br />You aim it along a path, turn it on and forget it until you need to change direction.<br /><br />For casting to banks or a bar it is almost as good as having a guide run the boat while you fish.

D

DJ

ray,<br /><br />Agree with JB.<br /><br />It is one nifty feature, if you fish that way.<br /><br />Had one, loved it.

raymondmoyer

Seaman

Thank you sirs. I spend most of my time fishing for smallies on the new river. Which entails paralleling the banks quite often. Sounds like a plan. :)

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just picked up a rebuilt one and don't know how I lived without it. Got to agree with the others. Also find it handy when forward trolling with the OB on windy days. Set the OB for straight ahead and set the auto pilot to make corrections when the wind turns the bow.

raymondmoyer

Seaman

I have one more quick question on the same topic. According to minn kota. The autopilot feature allows you to run in place. This would be one of the primary functions I would use it for. does it handle current very well. I'm looking at the 55pd model by the way :)

D

DJ

ray,<br /><br />Holding your place in a current is going to be directly proportional to the thrust of the motor and your boats size.

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a 55 lb auto pilot and LOVE it!!!

kalan2000

Seaman Apprentice

I just put a 55 AP on my 2800 lb 18 ft runabout. It works like a dream. I'm really glad I spent the extra $200 for the autopilot. I also added the Copilot wireless remote feature so I can control the motor from anywhere in the boat. Definitely worth the $150. Also, MinnKota is offering 2 specials with the purchase of the motor and Copilot. Free FRS/GMRS family radios and free extra copilot remote for minimal shipping fee (about $5).

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

It cost extra but you might want to consider a solar panel to go with the autopilot. I notice with my autopilot I run it a lot more than I did my old trolling motor and drain my battery a lot faster

raymondmoyer

Seaman

Thanks guys . I went ahead and bought the 55ap with the copilot. I can't wait to try it out. :)

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can anyone tell me if the auto pilot can be mounted at an angle down the left or right side of the bow or does that unit mount centered in the middle of the boat? Looks like the way it swivels at one point you'd have to mount it in the center of the bow with lateral orientation? Other models have the bracket/long latch set up that swings up and back out of the way a couple feet and can be mounted at an angle. The reason i ask is that i have an 18' center console boat with the anchor well up in the center/bow deck space.