Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

Hoping to get a little help with wiring ....

2004 Fisher 170 Sport Hawk

I have a fwd and aft livewell, my fwd livewell wasn't working at all .... wasn't sure if it was the switch or the pump, so I switched the wires at the pumps and ruled out that both pumps worked fine.

Here is where I got myself into trouble ... I started moving the wires from one switch to the other ... and then got confused because some of the wires jumped were attached to both switches with a jumper .... so after I thought I got them all figured out, that wasn't the case ......

The switches are 7 pins and have off, on, automatic ........ and there are two of them .... any help with this wiring and what wires go where would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Rusty

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

Hi ya Rusty

I'd be glad to help but I'm going to need pics of what your up against and more info. Most all boats don't have wiring diagrams for the internal workings other then the engines.

Now you should have the main 12V going to both sides of the switches, then from each switch it should go to each pump from each individual switch. Other side of the pumps are grounded.

I am not much of an artist but here goes my attempt ..... see pic, Also I will explain here

Here is what happens when I move switchs

Aft Livewell, operates in both Continous Mode and Auto Mode
Fwd Livewell, operates only in Continous Mode

Switch as 7 Terminals

Aft Livewell Switch

Terminal 1 ~ Black Wire to Unknown Location
Terminal 2 ~ 2 Wires from it ~ Brown/Yellow Unknown Location ~ Green goes to what I believe is the timer
Terminal 3 ~ 2 Wires from It ~ Brown/Yellow Unknown Location ~ Brown goes to 2nd Switch on Terminal 6
Terminal 4 ~ 2 Wires from It ~ Red wire goes to same switch terminal 5 ~ Red goes to Timer
Terminal 5 ~ Red wired from Terminal 4 same switch
Terminal 6 ~ Gets one wire from Fwd Livewell Switch
Terminal 7 ~ Not used

I hope this isn't too confusing of description, and thanks in advance againBoat Wiring.jpg

alldodge

Staff member

I am not much of an artist but here goes my attempt ..... see pic, Also I will explain here

Here is what happens when I move switchs

Aft Livewell, operates in both Continous Mode and Auto Mode
Fwd Livewell, operates only in Continous Mode

Switch as 7 Terminals

Aft Livewell Switch

Terminal 1 ~ Black Wire to Unknown Location
Terminal 2 ~ 2 Wires from it ~ Brown/Yellow Unknown Location ~ Green goes to what I believe is the timer
Terminal 3 ~ 2 Wires from It ~ Brown/Yellow Unknown Location ~ Brown goes to 2nd Switch on Terminal 6
Terminal 4 ~ 2 Wires from It ~ Red wire goes to same switch terminal 5 ~ Red goes to Timer
Terminal 5 ~ Red wired from Terminal 4 same switch
Terminal 6 ~ Gets one wire from Fwd Livewell Switch
Terminal 7 ~ Not used

I hope this isn't too confusing of description, and thanks in advance againView attachment 227833

It helps some but need to figure out what kind of switches they are. They probably have three positions on-off-on, may also be DPDT type. You say the AFT works correctly and the FWD does not. Your sketch has wires missing off the FWD switch such as the red wire. I would guess you need to place wires on the FWD just like the AFT.

It helps some but need to figure out what kind of switches they are. They probably have three positions on-off-on, may also be DPDT type. You say the AFT works correctly and the FWD does not. Your sketch has wires missing off the FWD switch such as the red wire. I would guess you need to place wires on the FWD just like the AFT.

Yes it is a 3-Way Switch .....

As for wires missing off the FWD Switch, I left those off the diagram, I figured if we could figure out one switch/one livewell, the other one would be wired the same way.

Thanks Again for your help and patience

alldodge

Staff member

Yes it is a 3-Way Switch .....

As for wires missing off the FWD Switch, I left those off the diagram, I figured if we could figure out one switch/one livewell, the other one would be wired the same way.

Thanks Again for your help and patience

OK both switches are wired the same just left the wires off the diagram. With that I would swap the timers. If you swap the timers and then the FWD starts working then it's the timer

The switch is probably lighted and turns on when in use. I would figure pin 1 BLK is ground.

OK both switches are wired the same just left the wires off the diagram. With that I would swap the timers. If you swap the timers and then the FWD starts working then it's the timer

The switch is probably lighted and turns on when in use. I would figure pin 1 BLK is ground.

I will try that tomorrow after I get off work ..... Curious as to why each switch wouldn't just have its own wires, why do some of the wires cross over to the other switch?

UncleWillie

Captain

... Curious as to why each switch wouldn't just have its own wires, why do some of the wires cross over to the other switch?

I would think that the only wires the two switches would have in common would be the Power and Ground wires.
You took them Off and now have them all mixed up. At this point you would be better off assuming all the wires are wrong.

...Here is where I got myself into trouble ... I started moving the wires from one switch to the other ... and then got confused because some of the wires jumped were attached to both switches with a jumper .... so after I thought I got them all figured out, that wasn't the case ...

A photo of the front and back of the switches and pumps would help greatly.
You need to figure out where both ends of all wires go.
Hint: The wire color at the switch will be the same wire color at the pumps.
Also, what make/model are the switches. We need to figure out what pins do what.

My apology for the delay ... lots of stuff going on this week.

So here are some pics ..... in reference to the pump just 2 wires coming off them

The switches are 3-way ..... 3 pin on one side, with the bottom pin not being used. 4 pins on the other side

I believe the wires are not hooked up in the right order.

One of my main concerns is what would wire be jumped from one switch to the other switch?

Switch.jpgTimer.jpgBack of Swithch 2.jpgBack of Swithch 1.jpg

UncleWillie

Captain

Using YOUR Numbering System (Which is not standard),

Swap any wires on Pins #2 and #4.

And, Swap any wires on Pins #5 and #7.

The light should come ON when the pump runs in Manual or Auto.

Using YOUR Numbering System (Which is not standard),

Swap any wires on Pins #2 and #4.

And, Swap any wires on Pins #5 and #7.

The light should come ON when the pump runs in Manual or Auto.

Thanks for your help .... I now have it wired correctly, at least one livewell is working correctly.

From a process of elimination I moved wires one at time from one switch to the other and found my problem, not I just got to trace that wire to find out what the issue is.

Thanks Again for all your help
Rusty

Ok ... I got the switchs hooked up properly now ... thanks.

A step back in time, last fall before I put her away for the winter I had an issue with the fwd livewell, where it wouldn't shut off, so I pulled the fuze, and forgot come this spring as to what the issue was.

So, while working on the two switches the past couple of days I had forgotten that I had pulled the fuze on one of the pumps ... so that is why only one has been working after getting help from you guys on getting it wired properly.

So I inserted fuze and it started running .... this is with every wire disconnect from the switch. So I am assuming that somewhere between the fuze box and the pump it has got power from something ..... its not the pump, because if I switch wires on the pumps the same thing.

In advice on what to do next or am I missing something AGAIN.

Thanks,
Rusty

alldodge

Staff member

Hi Rusty, use the wiring diagram UncleWillie provided in post 10 and trace the circuits. For your pump to run without the switch turned on means the fused wire is sending 12V direct to the pump. Now the direct feed may go to the switch but that is only where the connection is made, probably being jumped some how. Need a millimeter and ring the circuits out to find out how to connect. Also ring the switches out so you will know what post do what.