Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

    Hoping to get a little help with wiring ....

    2004 Fisher 170 Sport Hawk

    I have a fwd and aft livewell, my fwd livewell wasn't working at all .... wasn't sure if it was the switch or the pump, so I switched the wires at the pumps and ruled out that both pumps worked fine.

    Here is where I got myself into trouble ... I started moving the wires from one switch to the other ... and then got confused because some of the wires jumped were attached to both switches with a jumper .... so after I thought I got them all figured out, that wasn't the case ......

    The switches are 7 pins and have off, on, automatic ........ and there are two of them .... any help with this wiring and what wires go where would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in Advance
    Rusty

  • #2
    Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

    Hi ya Rusty

    I'd be glad to help but I'm going to need pics of what your up against and more info. Most all boats don't have wiring diagrams for the internal workings other then the engines.

    Now you should have the main 12V going to both sides of the switches, then from each switch it should go to each pump from each individual switch. Other side of the pumps are grounded.
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

      I am not much of an artist but here goes my attempt ..... see pic, Also I will explain here

      Here is what happens when I move switchs

      Aft Livewell, operates in both Continous Mode and Auto Mode
      Fwd Livewell, operates only in Continous Mode

      Switch as 7 Terminals

      Aft Livewell Switch

      Terminal 1 ~ Black Wire to Unknown Location
      Terminal 2 ~ 2 Wires from it ~ Brown/Yellow Unknown Location ~ Green goes to what I believe is the timer
      Terminal 3 ~ 2 Wires from It ~ Brown/Yellow Unknown Location ~ Brown goes to 2nd Switch on Terminal 6
      Terminal 4 ~ 2 Wires from It ~ Red wire goes to same switch terminal 5 ~ Red goes to Timer
      Terminal 5 ~ Red wired from Terminal 4 same switch
      Terminal 6 ~ Gets one wire from Fwd Livewell Switch
      Terminal 7 ~ Not used


      I hope this isn't too confusing of description, and thanks in advance againClick image for larger version

Name:	Boat Wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	7105100

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

        Originally posted by RustynMtnHome View Post
        I am not much of an artist but here goes my attempt ..... see pic, Also I will explain here

        Here is what happens when I move switchs

        Aft Livewell, operates in both Continous Mode and Auto Mode
        Fwd Livewell, operates only in Continous Mode

        Switch as 7 Terminals

        Aft Livewell Switch

        Terminal 1 ~ Black Wire to Unknown Location
        Terminal 2 ~ 2 Wires from it ~ Brown/Yellow Unknown Location ~ Green goes to what I believe is the timer
        Terminal 3 ~ 2 Wires from It ~ Brown/Yellow Unknown Location ~ Brown goes to 2nd Switch on Terminal 6
        Terminal 4 ~ 2 Wires from It ~ Red wire goes to same switch terminal 5 ~ Red goes to Timer
        Terminal 5 ~ Red wired from Terminal 4 same switch
        Terminal 6 ~ Gets one wire from Fwd Livewell Switch
        Terminal 7 ~ Not used


        I hope this isn't too confusing of description, and thanks in advance again[ATTACH=CONFIG]227833[/ATTACH]
        It helps some but need to figure out what kind of switches they are. They probably have three positions on-off-on, may also be DPDT type. You say the AFT works correctly and the FWD does not. Your sketch has wires missing off the FWD switch such as the red wire. I would guess you need to place wires on the FWD just like the AFT.
        94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
        95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
        07 Seadoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
        G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

          Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
          It helps some but need to figure out what kind of switches they are. They probably have three positions on-off-on, may also be DPDT type. You say the AFT works correctly and the FWD does not. Your sketch has wires missing off the FWD switch such as the red wire. I would guess you need to place wires on the FWD just like the AFT.
          Yes it is a 3-Way Switch .....

          As for wires missing off the FWD Switch, I left those off the diagram, I figured if we could figure out one switch/one livewell, the other one would be wired the same way.

          Thanks Again for your help and patience

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

            Originally posted by RustynMtnHome View Post
            Yes it is a 3-Way Switch .....

            As for wires missing off the FWD Switch, I left those off the diagram, I figured if we could figure out one switch/one livewell, the other one would be wired the same way.

            Thanks Again for your help and patience
            OK both switches are wired the same just left the wires off the diagram. With that I would swap the timers. If you swap the timers and then the FWD starts working then it's the timer

            The switch is probably lighted and turns on when in use. I would figure pin 1 BLK is ground.
            94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
            95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
            07 Seadoo GTX
            Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
            G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

              Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
              OK both switches are wired the same just left the wires off the diagram. With that I would swap the timers. If you swap the timers and then the FWD starts working then it's the timer

              The switch is probably lighted and turns on when in use. I would figure pin 1 BLK is ground.
              I will try that tomorrow after I get off work ..... Curious as to why each switch wouldn't just have its own wires, why do some of the wires cross over to the other switch?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

                Originally posted by RustynMtnHome View Post
                ... Curious as to why each switch wouldn't just have its own wires, why do some of the wires cross over to the other switch?
                I would think that the only wires the two switches would have in common would be the Power and Ground wires.
                You took them Off and now have them all mixed up. At this point you would be better off assuming all the wires are wrong.

                Originally posted by RustynMtnHome View Post
                ...Here is where I got myself into trouble ... I started moving the wires from one switch to the other ... and then got confused because some of the wires jumped were attached to both switches with a jumper .... so after I thought I got them all figured out, that wasn't the case ...
                A photo of the front and back of the switches and pumps would help greatly.
                You need to figure out where both ends of all wires go.
                Hint: The wire color at the switch will be the same wire color at the pumps.
                Also, what make/model are the switches. We need to figure out what pins do what.
                Bill, Lorain Ohio

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

                  My apology for the delay ... lots of stuff going on this week.

                  So here are some pics ..... in reference to the pump just 2 wires coming off them

                  The switches are 3-way ..... 3 pin on one side, with the bottom pin not being used. 4 pins on the other side

                  I believe the wires are not hooked up in the right order.

                  One of my main concerns is what would wire be jumped from one switch to the other switch?

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	7105282Click image for larger version

Name:	Timer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	7105283Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of Swithch 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	7105284Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of Swithch 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	7105285

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

                    It looks like you have a #502 Timer and a DPDT Illuminated Contura Switch.

                    The wiring should be similar to The Top Right Wiring Drawing.
                    Bill, Lorain Ohio

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

                      Originally posted by UncleWillie View Post
                      It looks like you have a #502 Timer and a DPDT Illuminated Contura Switch.

                      The wiring should be similar to The Top Right Wiring Drawing.
                      Thanks again for your help ... the only problem I see now is that my switch up it automatic and down is manual. What wires would I need to reverse to make it work accordingly to what my panel states?

                      Thanks Again,
                      Rusty

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

                        Using YOUR Numbering System (Which is not standard),

                        Swap any wires on Pins #2 and #4.

                        And, Swap any wires on Pins #5 and #7.

                        The light should come ON when the pump runs in Manual or Auto.
                        Bill, Lorain Ohio

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

                          Originally posted by UncleWillie View Post
                          Using YOUR Numbering System (Which is not standard),

                          Swap any wires on Pins #2 and #4.

                          And, Swap any wires on Pins #5 and #7.

                          The light should come ON when the pump runs in Manual or Auto.
                          Thanks for your help .... I now have it wired correctly, at least one livewell is working correctly.

                          From a process of elimination I moved wires one at time from one switch to the other and found my problem, not I just got to trace that wire to find out what the issue is.

                          Thanks Again for all your help
                          Rusty

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

                            Ok ... I got the switchs hooked up properly now ... thanks.

                            A step back in time, last fall before I put her away for the winter I had an issue with the fwd livewell, where it wouldn't shut off, so I pulled the fuze, and forgot come this spring as to what the issue was.

                            So, while working on the two switches the past couple of days I had forgotten that I had pulled the fuze on one of the pumps ... so that is why only one has been working after getting help from you guys on getting it wired properly.

                            So I inserted fuze and it started running .... this is with every wire disconnect from the switch. So I am assuming that somewhere between the fuze box and the pump it has got power from something ..... its not the pump, because if I switch wires on the pumps the same thing.

                            In advice on what to do next or am I missing something AGAIN.

                            Thanks,
                            Rusty

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sign up today
                              Re: Fwd And Aft Livewell Switches ... What wires go where?

                              Hi Rusty, use the wiring diagram UncleWillie provided in post 10 and trace the circuits. For your pump to run without the switch turned on means the fused wire is sending 12V direct to the pump. Now the direct feed may go to the switch but that is only where the connection is made, probably being jumped some how. Need a millimeter and ring the circuits out to find out how to connect. Also ring the switches out so you will know what post do what.
                              94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                              95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                              07 Seadoo GTX
                              Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
                              G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X