Ticking from fish finder???

FLATHEAD

Commander
This one has me baffled. When I turn on my eagle fishfinder (new this year) I noticed a ticking noise coming from the battery? Sounds like a loud wrist watch.Ground is good battery is new and the trolling motor is on the same battery but it does it when the motor is unplugged. Only other thing on this battery was an outboard that was not even started. Did not notice noise with old battery though it may have been ticking then also.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Ticking from fish finder???

Coming from the battery? Thats weird? Sure it's the battery and not the transducer thats ticking?<br /><br />Which Eagle do you have? Some of those newer ones have quite a bit of power, like 500 watts... Just a guess here, but might be that when theres no other load on the battery the depthfinder operates at it's max power and is ticking the transducer loud enuff to hear it? :confused: <br /><br /> I have a very powerful Sitex depth finder with a huge thru-hull transducer about the size of a steam iron and the transducer itself "ticks" just as you describe and thats normal for mine...

jrc27

Seaman

my old hummingbird as well as my eagle both have a ticking sound that comes from the transducer.. it is usually more noticable if the boat is shallow or out of water with the unit on... perfectly normal as far as i know

FLATHEAD

Commander

Thanks guys, I'll have to check out the transducer next time out. It is a transom mount directly below where the battery is.

NOSLEEP

Commander

My garmin ticks as well. especially loud when I<br />pull the boat out of the water and the unit is<br />still on.

gaugeguy

Captain

The ticking is just the sonar being transmitted, perfectly normal.