Model el25e Johnson trolling motor

iboatscat

Recruit
Trying to get some help on repairing a model el25e Johnson trolling motor bought 1982 but stored for over 10 years nt used. I want to put it on a 19 foot IO lake boat. Am interested in a repair manual including a wiring diagram. I bought a $40 momentary on/off switch but before replacing it I decided to double check the old one. When we hooked the motor up on a 12 new volt battery it ran for about 2 seconds and cut off. In the off position, I get 12 volts coming out of the switch but no motor activity. In the low, normal and high positions with switch on, I get no voltage coming out of the switch. As far as I know, the circuit breaker is reset and okay but I have never felt a click like most circuit breakers when you push on it. Yet one or two times I got it running for several seconds and I don't know what the difference was. I have tried moving the wires to see if any are broken inside with out success. The readings on the on/off switch are confusing (am a layman when it comes to electricity). Before cutting the old switch<br />out I am inclined to strip the wires on the in going side and out going side temporary hook up the new switch(splicing around the old one) and see what happens when I turn the new one on and keep the old one off. Any problem with my thinking? Since it ran several seconds a few times I would think the circuit breaker is okay and the rotary switch assembly is okay. Note that<br />I am keeping the motor in a container of water while trying to run it.<br />Any help will be appreciated and since I spent the money for the switch and have it all apart, I would like to finish the job myself. Since it is old (but in excellent condition), I hate wasting the time and money of the local dealer.<br />Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Model el25e Johnson trolling motor

Sorry I can't help you iboatscat.<br /><br />As you can see, though, entering a reply automatically moves your post to the top.<br /><br />Good luck. :)