Prop shaft size for MotorGuide?

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't seem to locate replacement nuts for the prop shaft for my Motorguide troller. What size is the shaft, and could I just use a stainless steel or nylon nut from the hardware store with a lock washer?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Prop shaft size for MotorGuide?

DrBob, I believe the thread size is either a 5/16"-18 or 3/8"-16 thread nut... <br /><br />Get ya a stainless fender washer and a "nyloc" nylon lock nut... Done deal... :)

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks snapperbait sound like a plan to me.

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, I tried 3/8-16 & 5/16-18...No luck!<br />It appears to be something in the range of 3/8-18, the 3/8 nut seems to be the right size but the threads are smaller on the shaft. <br />Could this be a metric size, or did the trolling motor people in their infinite wisdom assure continued business by making up some obscure size so I have to buy the replacements from them??? I can'timagine they would do something like that!! :rolleyes:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Threads can be of varying pitch - both in metric and imp. measures.<br /><br />Lower pitch would be used where high torque or tension is wanted.<br /><br />Some applications use right-hand and some use left-hand threads and even though this is not your problem, it adds to the picture of the nuts 'n bolts' complexity.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

DrBob check your local walmart mine has then in stock if you cant find them let me know i will pick 1 up for you and ship it to you but i am sure you will find it there

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I FOUND IT!!!<br />I was at my trusty Home Depot, and they had a package of five 3/8" fine thread nuts for 83 cents. Being within my budget :D I gave them a try...WE HAVE A MATCH!!!<br />So for anyone else trying to find replacement nuts for their Motor Guides, they are actually 3/8"-24's to be exact. <br />16 cents a piece sure beats $2.00 each for the replacements through my marine dealer!!!

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Very good indeed.<br /><br />Have to say, though, that a marine part at $2 is very uncommon. Most you see are at least 2 figures :eek:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

$.83, Good Deal$$$ , and you have four spares.. :D

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey UU, you are actually right about the two figures for parts at the marine dealer... I neglected to mention that they wouldn't split the order so I would have had to buy a 5 pack <br /> :mad: ...so the price actually would be $10!!!<br />That makes the 83 cents sound even better.