Recepticle for trolling motor

rz

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking to add a recepticle kit to my trolling motor so that I will be able to run it from a battery back aft. <br />Currently it has 50 amp alligator clips on a 5' cable, and I don't have the space up front for a battery.<br />It is a 15' boat, can anyone tell me what gauge wire I should use to make the run? I will also the same battery for other accessories like a fish finder, etc. Thanks!

D

DJ

Re: Recepticle for trolling motor

rz,<br /><br />Six or eight would be satisfactory.

whfmznb

Cadet

Could the same be said for just extending the cord with the clips so it would reach the battery? I ask only because the recepticle approach is not as easy for my boat.

whfmznb

Cadet

OK...Thanks. The existing cord looks to be about 12 gauge. Still extend with 6 or 8?....I've got some 10. Probably need to add 10'.<br /><br />Thanks again!!

ebbtide176

Commander

your 10gauge would be good, average for many jumper cables these days. good tradeoff for the price. if you could get some stranded welding cable free, that would be even better, as its usually in 6g or better. i just wouldn't go below a 12g or you'll be taking a pretty good loss on the resistance, not to mention needing perfect connections. HTH :D

rz

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking about using the recepticle because I was thinking that it looked better. It would be just as good to use the equipment that I already have, and that's just what I'm going to do. Plus it's cheaper... And thanks for the info. on the wire gauge (6/8ga) :D