transducer does not work while under way...

sgleichman

Cadet
I have an older Humminbird with a transom transducer and it only operates while almost stationary. <br /><br />I am actually replacing the unit (to a Humminbird Matrix 35) this week and want to know how to insure that the new transducer / DepthFinder will work while under way. 16' Hydra Sport Bass Boat with a 70hp Johnson.<br /><br />Thanks

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: transducer does not work while under way...

I have a Humminbird Piranha 5 and for mine after I first installed it I had to make small changes to the angle of the transducer so it would be able to track at different speeds. Once I found the right angle, I rarely lose tracking unless I am really moving or in rough water.. You can also try to change the units settings to speed up the tracking speed.<br />Seemed to work for me, hope it helps.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Good luck, my hummingbird transducers never worked while underway. My Eagles work up to 25-27 mph, and intermittently up to 35mph.

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

hmm i have the same prob with mine it works good till like 25 or so. but i rember a wile back when i rented a pontoon boat and the transducer was located in a bad spot where the water that spun from the prob would mess up the readings cause of the bubbles or sumtin. well this seems to be a prob so if anyone knows what it is for sure plese tell me

sgleichman

Cadet

I will be installing the new transducer tomorrow and wonder where to put it. The old one is right at the center of the transom and hasn't worked worth crap... Maybe it isn't the location but the transducer style?? It sure would be good to have it work while cruising around.<br /><br />S

FLATHEAD

Commander

Center of the transom may be your problem. The motor is most likely causing interference with the transducer. To the left or the right of the motor far enough to keep the turbulence from the prop from interfering should help this problem. This should all be explained in the instructions with your new unit.

ebbtide176

Commander

ok, i stayed out of this one for awhile, but figured i should put in my 2c<br /><br />i think you will not run into this trouble with HB in the near future, as they have been dogged about the older transducers. i had the same problem, bought a newer unit, and experimented with the xducers to isolate the prob with one of my DF's(depthfinders). it turned out that the newer xducers DID take care of the prob on the old unit, so HB ungraded with only the $15 bench fee for testing the old unit(which i also sent back)<br /><br />now if this doesn't make sense, i will try to rephrase... i think the older xducers were more sensitive to fluctuations in voltage, and speed, but it seems HB has tried to make up for it. some problems might be resolved with an add-on voltage regulator, but its easier to try a new xducer. and the newer units come with the better xducers. and of course, this problem didn't come up with the eagle buyers :D <br /><br />but there was a diff problem with the HB units fogging up. i haven't heard of complaints with the units since last yr.<br /><br />and yes, the placement under the hull makes all the diff in the world too. but my new xducer is in the same spot as the old one, since most dealers know all about where to place an xducer anyhoo.

NathanY

Commander

If your boat is fiberglass, the best place to put it is in the bilge. It will come with instructions on how to do it.

ebbtide176

Commander

yeah- my pop's boat is the same model as mine, but 3 yrs newer. the xducer is bilge mounted in his, but outside on mine. 82vs85 models

sgleichman

Cadet

Thank you everyone for your advise. I installed the new unit and the transducer and it works perfectly. I would recommend the HB Matrix, it is a great unit. I am actually reading the bottom at 40mph since I placed the transducer away from the outboard.. Thank you again.