where to get 6 gauge wire ?

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
i am lookin for about 18 foot of 6 gauge wire i would like the pos and neg to be in a shrink wrap protector.or at least connected together. i cant find this anywhere.its for my trolling motor can anyone help me ???

SlowlySinking

Re: where to get 6 gauge wire ?

wayne34609, maybe a set of heavy duty extra long jumper cables.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Wayne.<br /><br />I got some #6 from NAPA, but it was far too stiff.<br /><br />Slowly Sinking has it. Flexible, often siamezed and color coded.<br /><br />You need to get a high grade, and long enough.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might also try a welding shop. They should have high quality welding leads they can cut to whatever length you need.

acc

Seaman

You should find submersible power wire at electrical supply.....Get braided if you want it to be flexible......solid conductor is stiff....

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

If you don't mind stiff wire, I'm pretty sure Home Depot and Lowes sell 6 gauge by the foot.. <br /><br />Thats where I got mine... Works fine for my Motorguide trolling motor...

wayne h

SlowlySinking great idea on the jumper cables i found a set for 10$ but this is pretty heavy for a 34lbs thrust trolling motor but thats what the manual says to use

SlowlySinking

Hi Wayne, glad to help, you need the large wire size to minimize the voltage drop at the motor, otherwise a lot of battery power converts to heating the cables, which serves no purpose. Good luck fishing,,,, :)

rz

Seaman Apprentice

Hi wayne,<br /> What type of store did you find the jumper cables in, and how long were they? I have the same situation as you do, I need about 15' to 18' of cable for my trolling motor also. :D

duck-n-pond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you want flexable, welding cable (as quoted above) would be the best. It is constructed of many small strands making it 'soft', but it is more expensive. Cheap jumpers not as good. You need the large gauge because low DC voltage, like 12vdc, does not travel well for long distances without lots of loss. Loss in the cable is power (heat loss) that your motor is not getting. Larger cables gives more copper surface area, making it easier for electrons to move esp at high current like a trolling motor. The same applies to a degree to AC current. Thats why power lines are high voltage (in kV range) - to keep the wire size small.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Stay away from PVC jacketed cables, like on cheap jumper cables. My experience is it becomes unflexable & breaks after a short time in the elements. Welding cable usually is neoprene sheathed; nothing is nicer!

bubbakat

Captain

If you have a tractor supply store near you they sell stranded wire that size by the foot

Ralph 123

Captain

When it comes to wire for Marine use I am sorry to tell you there is NO substitute for quality marine wiring like that made by Ancor Marine (www.ancorproducts.com) Each strand of wire is individually tinned to prevent corrosion. The insulator is made to withstand mostiure, oil, etc that can quickly breakdown and penetrate a lesser wire. What happenes? The stuff rots and you can't even tell until you cut into the cable!<br /><br />Do your self a favor and go to a boating supply store and pick up the good stuff. You can also check eBay for it - that is where I buy most of mine at a substantial discount to places like West Marine.