Draining battery

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
I heard somewhere that you should drain a trolling motor battery all the way before rechargeing. Has anybody else heard of this?

bhold

Cadet
Re: Draining battery

From what I've read, it is best to recharge the battery whenever you are done using it, and try not to drain it completely. <br /><br />Here is a good link with some info you might want to check out.<br /><br /> Deep Cycle Care <br /><br />Have fun...

Paul Moir

Admiral

Boatin'B's right. Sulfidation kills lead acid batteries, and it begins when the batteries are about 40% discharged. Deep cycle batteries are just better at putting up with it.<br />No rechargable battery likes to be completely discharged, btw.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Mike<br />Only one that would suggest draining battery is someone who sell new ones. Drain a starting battery and it will be damaged, deep cycle handle it a little better but best way is to charge as soon as possible but do not over charge. Get a good AUTOMATIC battery charger.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Now what you guys are says makes so much more sense to me. Thank you very much.......

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

The confusion comes as some, older recharchable batteries (Ni-Cad) work better if fully cycled.<br /><br />Never applied to automotive batteries. Charge em when you get home. I have an outlet in my box and I charge mine on the way home.