Uniden Atlantis 200 VHF handheld radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

df1995

Cadet
I bought this cheap handheld VHF to give as a gift. Afterward I looked for reviews on the the web. There were not many and most were negative. Apparently this model has been discontinued which suggests to me that this radio might truly be a dud.

Anyone have actual experience with the Uniden model they could share?

Uniden Atlantis 200 VHF handheld radio

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Uniden Atlantis 200 VHF handheld radio

I have an older Uniden handheld that has always worked just fine,.....

df1995

Cadet

I have an older Uniden handheld that has always worked just fine,.....

I gave the gift and we tried it out in a daysail today. I discovered one reason for the low price is that it is underpowered compared to most handhelds: 3.5 watts compared to 5 for the typical. I guess this could be important because the antenna is not high.

Regardless (or irregardless as is said in New Jersey) the little radio worked well enough and I liked the fact that it used cheap re-chargeable AAA batteries rather than the proprietary battery that always costs a lot.

UncleWillie

Captain

I gave the gift and we tried it out in a day sail today. I discovered one reason for the low price is that it is underpowered compared to most handhelds: 3.5 watts compared to 5 for the typical. I guess this could be important because the antenna is not high.
Regardless (or irregardless as is said in New Jersey) the little radio worked well enough and I liked the fact that it used cheap re-chargeable AAA batteries rather than the proprietary battery that always costs a lot.

The effect of Transmit Power is not linear.
3.5 to 5 watts is 1.5dB. The equivalent of being 20% further away.
Standing on a seat while transmitting will have a bigger improvement.

If you like it, Use it!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I've used several versions through the years and find them just OK. The factory batteries don't last very long and when you go to replace them, they've changed the model just slightly. But buying remanufactured is not a bad way to go.

I recommend against rechargeable AAA batteries--way too fragile. Depends on whether you rely on them.

I find that each watt of power generally gives you a mile of range--and five miles on open water is not very far. So the handheld is goos for talking to other boats or a marina you can see; little else.

Hold the antenna straight up. get the unit high. VHF antennas have to "see" each other to work.

slackersailor

Recruit
I have one but have lost the AC adapter. If you guys still have yours can you post a photo of the characteristics and the connector that goes into the radio? Uniden sells a replacement for $20 which I think is too much since I can buy a new radio for twice this.

Status
Not open for further replies.