Crimping fuse holder

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The old fuse holder had a 4 way crimp.

Should I use Buchanan C-24 crimpers...

!B)(Lktw!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKi4EwQpwYbvvBMNKOjEpzg~~_35.JPG

to crimp these?

BSS-HFB_ml.jpg

If you distort the tube, it wont fit in the housing. I have a Kline crimper tool and a ratchet crimper like the ones below.
295161.jpg

tn_VT1005a.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Crimping fuse holder

Ayuh,.... Better yet, go to a fuse block, 'n get rid of yer in-line fuses altogether,...

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,.... Better yet, go to a fuse block, 'n get rid of yer in-line fuses altogether,...
More good advise from Bondo.
I rewired much of my boat this winter and discovered 8 inline fuses located from "difficult to access" to "impossible to access". Simple result of adding stuff over the years and in too much of a hurry to get back out fishing. After the rewire using fuse blocks (2), I now have a standard fuse type and location should I need to replace one. It's worth the effort.

jc55

No, this is for the dual battery switch location at the rear of the boat for accessory feeds. I have 4 fuse blocks and multiple terminal strips at the helm. This is how the boat was wired to begin with.

jc55

Oh, I just found these weatherpack crimpers...
12085270_LG.JPG

jc55

Got her all crimped with the Delphi crimpers(last pair), worked perfectly.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

I had trouble with those type of fuse holders, where they grip the fuse gets loose , on my VHF radios when transmitting, it was too much load for that type of connection. The radios worked fine on receive but wouldn't transmit. This didn't happen all the time but once is enough.

jc55

I like those much better Bruce. I appreciate the heads up K-2. I already installed them :( . If I have any issues, I'll swap them out ASAP.

jc55

You guys were right. Those yellow fuse holders are a total hack. I replaced them with a better product. But once again, there's a limited option for 10 gauge wiring, and no option for crimping them yourself. So now I have an extra splice in an otherwise uninterrupted accessory wire run.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you are doing this in a run to an accessory fuse panel, I typically put in a breaker which has threaded posts.

jc55

Thanks Bruce. You're probably right once again and my next post will be about adding breakers lol. The location is a wet one. Even the battery switch went bad. Condensation, etc. I'll have to work that issue out.