Battery Terminal Stripped - Thoughts?

SeattleBob

Cadet
I am winterizing my boat and am trying to remove the positive side of the battery cable but I am turning the wing nut (which is on there very tight) and the whole post is moving, thus not allowing the wing nut to screw off. Any thoughts on what to do next?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
-Bob

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Battery Terminal Stripped - Thoughts?

#1 Get the NEG post disconnected.

#2 Keep positive pressure on the nut as you turn it.
You may need to wedge a screwdriver under the cable lugs to get it to un-thread as you turn it.

#3 Whatever the results, be sure to keep all the posts well greased when it goes back together.
Preventing corrosion isn't just for the cosmetics issue.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

If the whole stud is spinning,she is shot. It mean's the stud disconnected from the innards of the battery.Wing nuts are not recomended by ABYC standards,but they come with them attached from the battery mfg. discard them,put ss nuts on them and don't over tighten. All that can happen with that battery from here,is it'll " maby" work,or cause a bad connection,no start-or cables getting overheated,melting the cables/battery terminals. Replace is the only option.
Grub

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Use a pair of pliers to hold the top of the stud and loosen the wing nut. After the wing nut is high enough, switch the pliers to under the W/N. Don't worry about the stud being boogered up, since it's spinning you can't use it anymore. Hope you have a regular, clamp type + terminal on the battery.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Use a pair of pliers to hold the top of the stud and loosen the wing nut. After the wing nut is high enough, switch the pliers to under the W/N. Don't worry about the stud being boogered up, since it's spinning you can't use it anymore. Hope you have a regular, clamp type + terminal on the battery.
Well yes to that! Hope it has the dual terminals. Did not think of that when typing my post.
Grub.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One more use for the pliers/vice grips. Grab the top of the stud and wiggle it until it pulls out and won't have to even take the wing nut off. The stud is useless now anyway.

fishrdan

Admiral

Depending on the routing of the + battery cable, it might be easiest to remove the engine side of the cable and pull the "battery and cable" out of the boat, so you can work with them on the bench.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

uh..... STOP for now.... soak the stud and nut down with penetrating oil.... wait a day... use a LIGHT hammer to give each side of the wing nut a smack down toward the battery IE try to 'rock' it on the stud and break any corrosion holding it.... quite possibly after this it will spin right off.

Since the head of the stud is encased in lead top and bottom it will still make contact with the battery after this when tightened down so it you don't mess up the threads you can likely get good use from the battery though I always recommend more than one battery bank for most boats and if it's GOING to be the only battery on board it should be the best it possibly can... IE not one with a questionable terminal....

If you manage to save the batt and use it with this terminal be sure to apply dielectric grease heavily all around the terminal stud to prevent water from entering and causing corrosion and a bad electrical connection now that the stud is loose

Last edited:

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Depending on the age of your battery, you might get warranty replacement coverage. Once i had a spinning side post on a vehicle battery. Was covered under 3 year free replacement warranty that the battery had. Worth a shot at least...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

sounds like the stupid batteries in my Chevy with the internal post and just a small nut to attach to. They work loose inside and the battery is unservicable. A design defect designed to sell more batteries.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

If you can, hacksaw the post off under the wingnut. You may have to remove the blade from the handle.... Works good.....

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I suggest being very carefull when using any kind of force on those terminals. If the battery post, itself, moves under the force, it "could" short out the battery internals with some very undesirable results. Shorted batteries can be quite dangerous. The least of the problems would be breaking the seal between the post and the case, possibly causing a way for acid to leak out around the post.