Negative terminal and cable too hot to handle

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Negative terminal and cable too hot to handle

Your right and next week I will have my jack fixed so I will move boat to my house and hook to water hose. At that point I will know right away if impeller is bad if motor overheats. Or a indication it's not being cooled by some apparent reason.

I was planning to buy impeller kit anyhow and replace. Thanks and when I do attempt it I will post a thread asking for schematics an the how too.

:)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Glad you got it fixed. However:
:eek: Don't do that anymore! It doesn't take long to ruin the impeller when it's run dry like that.
++++++1

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Okay everyone good news. Jack though on the other hand didn't fit since A frame has two holes one on too which was correct diameter the bottom one wasn't so some fab work to be had. I did manage to fix old jack cut a piece of Allen wrench and used that as a pin to replace old one that sheer off.

Brought boat home hooked up exhausts hoses and fired it up ran it for about ten mins and no over heating and ran great! Wife and I cleaned her out good then back in storage now for another week. Registering boat next week then attempt to splash.

I found tons of treasure in all the cubby holes of boat from previous owners. Misc hoses, flares but expired, tools, filters, props, etc!!!

Good day for sure!

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You've run it twice now, even briefly, with not water. You're impeller is probably toast. Just because it didn't overheat on the hose in your yard doesn't mean the impeller is good. You don't need an impeller when you stuffing water in the intake at 40 psi or whatever. I've done this same thing when I was fist working on boats. Melted the impeller, it ran great on the hose, put it in the lake and overheated real quick.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

No KD you got it all wrong! I didn't mention previously but I ran boat on garden hose this time around and yes I it were for ten mins long I would have exp burnt out impeller but that was not the case. All is good and no over heating and it stayed steady at 120 on temp. So I'm good! Sorry didn't elaborate this beforehand.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Oh got what your saying now I was planning to check impeller but I don't think your correct on that although maybe it's just a assumption which means $)&$)$. :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When you run this type drive on hose using the trunion housing flush point, you are not even using the impeller so just because it didn't overheat is no guarantee it won't in the water.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Bruce sure didn't think of it like that. Here's to that knowledge passed on *Cheers*. Now I will post a thread on the how to remove old impeller such as how hard and a break down of how to do it.

Thanks all.

Last edited: