BRP control box/shifter

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
brp.jpgI have a problem with shifter. I haven't had boat in water yet. redid all of inside of boat. so I have been messing with stuff. shifter has worked in the past not on water in the driveway. I messed with screw on front of control box now it wont go into forward gear it will go into reverse. what did I do by messing with that set screw and how to fix it. thanks

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: BRP control box/shifter

I got it shifting now. I unhooked shifting rod that comes off of motor and hooks to cable that connection. I figured I could tell if it was cable or something in transmission. tried shifter when that was unhooked and it went forward and reverse like it should. just for kicks I hooked it back up thinking that it was cable and it works now. still don't know what that set screw does. I also see where that shift rod goes inside motor there is a cotter pin missing. there is a neoprene bushing and a spring washer it must need to be held into place. I don't think that was my shifting problem though.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: BRP control box/shifter

That is a friction adjustment so you don't have to have your hand on the control lever all the time. You should also not try to shift a boat without the engine running. If the clutch dogs are not lined up with the notches in the mating gear you cannot force it into gear. If you try, you can damage the control box or the cables. As for "messing" with things, you are advised NOT to do that -- at least until you have a reasonable idea of what that device is you are "messing" with and what the consequences are if you don't know what it is.