Problem with Minn Kota Power Drive 55PD - it turns, but prop doesn't spin

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Minn Kota 55PD. The first time I went to use it this year it wouldn't work. It will still turn (change direction) but the prop itself won't go. I can hear a clicking noise in the upper unit so I'm pretty sure the foot control is working. Wondering if the motor itself is toast?

Any help would be appreciated.

buckeyes

Recruit
Four twenty, did you ever find out what was wrong mine does the same thing, turns but don't spin hear a clicking noise too in the motor, tried every thing let me know thanks....

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice
Four twenty, did you ever find out what was wrong mine does the same thing, turns but don't spin hear a clicking noise too in the motor, tried every thing let me know thanks....

The foot control was toast.

buckeyes

Recruit
ok well i took my foot control and tried on my buddys motor and it worked on his , tried his on mine and his don't work on mine any ideals thanks...

buckeyes

Recruit
Any Help out their,,, i have a 55 power drive build in sonar the problem i have is when i put the foot petal on i hear a clicking noise, its turns but don't spin checked was no fishing line in prop . i tried the foot control on my buddy's motor it work's on his but his don't work on mine ... ANY HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Check the cable for nicks, cuts, or breaks between the foot control connector and the motor. If you find nothing, pop the head cover and have a peek in there.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Pop the top cover off by removing the 4 screw from below. I use jumper cables to put 12 volts to the 2 big wires, one red one black running down the tube to the power head. If the motor does not spin then you have brush or armature issues. If the motor spins you have board issues since your controller worked on someone elses motor.

It's been a while since I was in one of those, but they have a relay board that craps out, it's in the base and not hard to change or extremely expensive.

The clicking suggests the relays are closing, so, with the foot switch in the constant position and speed in the middle somewhere, probe those two red/black wires for 12 volts first. If they are getting 12 volts the board is OK and you have brush or armature issues. I would probe those wires first, and do the jumper cable thing as a second confirmation test.

The armature and or brushes are not terribly hard to service, you just have to be careful to get everything back where it belongs.

Look to the parts sellers websites for diagrams that show the insides of the power head. My current V2 powerdrive has a cardboard ring that holds the brushes back for reassembly. You put the ring between the brushes, then slide the armature and housing in to the base housing. The armature pushes the ring back into the housing and the brushes pop on to the armature.

Last edited:

tigerhunter

Cadet
I had this problem a couple years back with a PD V2 40 lb. The motor would steer but the prop wouldn't turn. When you hit the button for the prop you could hear a click but it wouldn't spin.

Mine was fixed by a new control board (~$100-140 depending on model)

You can maybe try swapping your buddies into your motor and see if that works (assuming they are the same motor).

Good luck!

rebmo

Seaman
I know this is an old thread but found a fix that may help folks:
I thought my V1 70ft/lb 60" MinnKota Powerdrive controller board was toast. All I was getting was the clicking. A local Trolling motor expert (without looking at it) advised to get a new/used V2 as the V1s are not fixable. So I tried one last ditch effort and got some hifi deox contact deoxidiztion spray and CRC electronic cleaner and a toothbrush for the pins and one of the new "christmas tree tooth brushes for the sockets. I cleaned all 4 connectors and boom the motor works fine, no clicking. So I thought I'd pass this along since it's a easy low cost solution if it works. I was inches away from buying a craigslist $5-600 used V2 so dodged a bullet.

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice
I find every spring I have to take the pedal apart and wipe the board with a damp cloth to clean the surface. It seems the slide that tells it what speed to go at gets dirty and doesnt make a connection. So it clicks when you push the pedal to go but it thinks you've chosen 0 as your speed so the prop doesnt spin.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Any of you guys using dielectric grease in the connectors and contacts to control the oxidation? Try it.

rebmo

Seaman
There was some grease in mine that I noticed when cleaning. It may have been there for quite a while and was dirty. I was considering letting the de-ox spray dry off ant then putting some die-electric grease on the contact points to help prevent moisture and corrosion. It should work good. I'll post back with any results after I try it.

rebmo

Seaman
I did put some die electrical grease on the cleaned power and foot pedal connections and it works OK. I feel a lot better having something protecting moisture and corrosion on the connector pins and sockets. I did have to wipe it down as there was a little too much on and it was intermittent. But I wiped it down and have good contact now yet a coating of DEG for protection. Hope it works for the long haul now.

schucb

Recruit
I know this is an old thread but found a fix that may help folks:
I thought my V1 70ft/lb 60" MinnKota Powerdrive controller board was toast. All I was getting was the clicking. A local Trolling motor expert (without looking at it) advised to get a new/used V2 as the V1s are not fixable. So I tried one last ditch effort and got some hifi deox contact deoxidiztion spray and CRC electronic cleaner and a toothbrush for the pins and one of the new "christmas tree tooth brushes for the sockets. I cleaned all 4 connectors and boom the motor works fine, no clicking. So I thought I'd pass this along since it's a easy low cost solution if it works. I was inches away from buying a craigslist $5-600 used V2 so dodged a bullet.

My motor also made the clicking noise. I verified that I had power going through, then determined it was in my motor. I pulled my prop, then the two motor bolts. After removing the case, I found one of the motor brushes seized into the plate. I had a little water in my motor. New parts have been ordered since I can’t get the brush out. Will also need to clean up my armiture then should be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.