Questions about trolling motor on a canoe...

Count Monaco

Seaman Apprentice
  1. So I bought THIS TROLLING MOTOR from Academy today and clipped in on my canoe and everything worked great except that I want to go a little faster. Would it really make a difference if I ponied up the extra $80 and bought THIS 40 LB MOTOR or even something more powerful?
  2. Also, I got one of these Rally 5-Watt solar panels to charge my little 12v marine battery. Does anyone know if this thing actually works and how long it takes to charge?
  3. How many hours on can you expect to get out of a battery before it drains?
  4. Also, how deep should you lower the propeller to obtain optimal performance?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Questions about trolling motor on a canoe...

1 Yes it will go slightly faster.

2 No it won't charge the battery, you need a good charger to get the most out of your battery.

3 It just depends on the setting, but it's a small bettery, so not long.

4 As deep as it needs to be to get a good bite, every boat will be different and it will change with water conditions.

Count Monaco

Seaman Apprentice

1 Yes it will go slightly faster.

2 No it won't charge the battery, you need a good charger to get the most out of your battery.

3 It just depends on the setting, but it's a small bettery, so not long.

4 As deep as it needs to be to get a good bite, every boat will be different and it will change with water conditions.

How long is not long?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A 30# motor draws close to 40 amps worst case. Look at the specs on the battery. 40AH means it can deliver 40 amps for one hour. The solar panel will ourput bout 4/10 of one amp and as such is useless for charging troller batteries.

Count Monaco

Seaman Apprentice

A 30# motor draws close to 40 amps worst case. Look at the specs on the battery. 40AH means it can deliver 40 amps for one hour. The solar panel will ourput bout 4/10 of one amp and as such is useless for charging troller batteries.

I wonder how they can get away with saying it charges trolling motors on the box.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It will charge (somewhat) a battery at 4/10 amp per hour in full sunlight. So at one amp every 2.5 hous it would take 100 hours and the battery would still not be fully charged. And since the sun doesn't shine 24 hous/day you can double the time. So did they lie? No. They just didn't tell you how long it would take. Buyer Beware applies.

Artwerke

Seaman Apprentice

Hull speed on a 15' water line is about 4 Kts, You're not going to get much more than that unless you get enough hp.to plane it

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Hull speed on a 15' water line is about 4 Kts, You're not going to get much more than that unless you get enough hp.to plane it

And you cannot plane a canoe. The faster you go the lower the back end sinks until the bow is straight up.

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

we use one on our canoe.....16ft..... and that sucka runs for a long time....go to wally world and buy their biggest deep cycle battery.....interstate makes an even better one.....trimming your motor (angle) will gain a little more speed. one can even take two batteries to switch over to when the well runs dry.....but ours lasted for hours.

a lot of canoe purists around here(paddlers)....it's funny to go zippin by them, our feet are up, canoe has seat backs, drink holders, my gal reading a book,,,,,,

Why da hell did you buy such a rinkie dink battery ? Buy another big one from interstate and use that toy battery you have as a second/back up battery. you'll be rippin all day long then. Word.