Cell Phone Navigation App

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was just wondering if anyone out there is using a free or paid cell phone GPS/Navigation app when out boating? I haven't had my boat out here locally, and don't have a GPS or Depthfinder in my boat.

The other day,I figured..... "There has to be an app for that!" So, what's your take on it? I'm an Android guy, and thought the GPS to get back to the ramp would be bit useful, and if its got any other cool gizmos and gadgets like a speedo or shows depths of areas on the map, could be pretty nice to have and aid in exploring the water out here in the midwest.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Cell Phone Navigation App

I use MX Mariner on my android phone, and now on my Google Nexus 7 tablet. I highly recommend it! It is not free but the price is very reasonable (I think $10 tops if I recall correctly).

With that said, MX Mariner uses NOAA charts, so I dont think there would be any content for small inland lakes.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tip. And yes, I'm looking for the smaller inland lakes (compared to the ocean) located here in the midwest including the Mississippi river and rivers between Missouri and Illinois.

superbenk

Commander

I use Navionics. Around $10 for a region's maps & it works very well. It's been recommended on here tons of times.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I use Navionics. Around $10 for a region's maps & it works very well. It's been recommended on here tons of times.

Are you using it on a phone or tablet? Can you create waypoints and routes? I've been considering it for my Galaxy tablet, but the HD (tablet) version costs about $35.00.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I seen Navionics.. But when I went to their website, there were complaints of it being nothing but a map. Is there features to mark locations, and does it offer "directions" to places? IE- can I mark the ramp I loaded at?

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you using it on a phone or tablet? Can you create waypoints and routes? I've been considering it for my Galaxy tablet, but the HD (tablet) version costs about $35.00.

Whoops, didn't scroll down all the way.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

I played with one a little on my boat with a blackberry tablet but my end decision was that you just can't see the screens well in the sun, that combined with the non-waterproofing ill be looking into getting a normal depth finder/GPS combo unit this year.

My boat has no top though,can't escape the light. That being said I will probably buy the apps suggested here just to try them out. I have android and apple devices collecting dust

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I played with one a little on my boat with a blackberry tablet but my end decision was that you just can't see the screens well in the sun, that combined with the non-waterproofing ill be looking into getting a normal depth finder/GPS combo unit this year.

My boat has no top though,can't escape the light. That being said I will probably buy the apps suggested here just to try them out. I have android and apple devices collecting dust
Me neither bud. I'd just like some guidance to get back and to aid with knowing where I am at. Especially since I'm not too familiar with the lakes and what not.

superbenk

Commander

I use Bacionics on my iPhone. It does all the things you requested. My boat isn't big enough to have room for a tablet and we really don't go anywhere that I'd need heavy chart plotting capabilities. Navionics on the iPhone works fine for me. Waterproofing and visibility are issues, though & you need to make sure you have a constant power source as using the GPS will drain the battery fast.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good Deal. I'll look today for Navionics in my Google Play store. It seems to be the recc that most are putting out there. And yes, I have an 12v supply for phone charging.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is the biggest issue of all time !!! I study the Navionics depth readings and charts before I go to a new area but don't even bother using it while out on the lake.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm listening to your advice!!!! Spdracr39

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Eating my words now... I never bought a real gps unit yet, but I just used navionics vector charts app on a xoom family edition tablet...it was amazing. I'm going to look into waterproofing, anti-glair protector, stand, charger, see if I can get a practical setup going on the openbow.

Marine navigator lite is also a free app with gps over noaa raster charts. Only the full version stiches them together automatically ($10) I like the idea of having both maps going.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ended up with the navionics app on my phone. Nice to study the smaller lakes before going out..

Bigger issues at the moment though.... Water intrusion into my outboard. I've only had the resto boat out once this season, and never left the ramp area. :(

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

I just came across Navionics sonar charts online viewer
WebApp | Navionics

Excellent free sonar maps online! I think this is coming to the android/iOS apps but is not there yet.