2007 Trophy 1802 Walkaround battery connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaw

Cadet
I think I may have messed up. I removed my battery for the winter and when I went to reinstall it I noticed three sets of wires. Positive (no problem), Ground (no problem), a set of green, white, and black (I think) combined at a connector with a hole in it to hook up to the battery. I could not remember which post they hooked to so I hooked them up to the positive and I saw sparks and now my battery does not automatically recharge. Could it be a simple as a blown fuse, if so where is the fuse box, or could it be worse? Does anyone know what the wires are for.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2007 Trophy 1802 Walkaround battery connections

a set of green, white, and black (I think) combined at a connector with a hole in it to hook up to the battery.

Post a picture of the wire ends. The green, white, black wire sounds like part of a AC extension cord.
What is the other end hooked to? Picture of it too.

Blaw

Cadet

wires.jpg

Here is a pic. I can't tell where they go. They go through the hull to somewhere.

TrophyBoats82

Recruit

Those wires get hooked to your black (negative) side of the battery. The only thing that should get hooked to the positive side of the battery is the Red.

Blaw

Cadet

Those wires get hooked to your black (negative) side of the battery. The only thing that should get hooked to the positive side of the battery is the Red.

Thank you very much. I messed up and hooked them up to the positive side and sparks flew, I am afraid I messed something up. My tach stopped working and my battery will not hold a charge. I can start the boat with a charger and unhook the battery and the motor will continue to run, of course I don't have lights then. I know my battery is bad now, but I don't know if I messed something up in the charging system that would damage a new battery if I hooked it up. I am trying to save the money to put it in the shop.

TrophyBoats82

Recruit

You will at the very least need a new battery. I would check your fuse box in the berth to make sure no fuses are blown. If this problem continues, I think you may need to have it looked at by a professional. I'm not well versed in boats yet but I've owned my trophy 1802 for 6 years now and have done quite a few small projects on my own, so I don't know what kind of jolt that could have caused to your electrical system. When the motor is running, do you at least have power to run your accessories? (depth finder, radio, bilge pumps, fish well pump)??

Blaw

Cadet

You will at the very least need a new battery. I would check your fuse box in the berth to make sure no fuses are blown. If this problem continues, I think you may need to have it looked at by a professional. I'm not well versed in boats yet but I've owned my trophy 1802 for 6 years now and have done quite a few small projects on my own, so I don't know what kind of jolt that could have caused to your electrical system. When the motor is running, do you at least have power to run your accessories? (depth finder, radio, bilge pumps, fish well pump)??

Yes I have power. I had a friend check it out and put the meters on it and said that everything looked good. I did get a new battery and he showed me that the battery was charging while the motor was running. He also showed me that I have an alternator not a stator on the motor. I check every fuse that I could find with no blown ones. The only problem I have now is my tach is stuck at 1000. I dont know if it is not getting input or if the dial is just stuck. Thanks for the help.

I just recently did the same thing to my boat... checked the fuses behind the battery and they had blown. Did putting all those wires on the negative battery terminal solve the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.