Looking for some opinions please Transom mount new trolling motor on swim deck.

almstsobur

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, couple quick questions before I pull the trigger on a new trolling motor, mount and a couple batteries. First off, this is for a 02 Glastron GX185 18' runabout. Dry weight in the 2500LB ballpark, maybe a bit more because it has the 4.3L v-6. I'm only a part time, not-so-serious bass fisherman, therefor doing anything on the bow is out of the question. It looks like my best option will be a Transom mount 24V motor, mounted off the left side of the swim deck, out of the way of the outdrive and ladder.

Here are my questions:

First, will this work? Anyone tried it? I know bow-mount would be better and I know this isn't ideal. But will it work for a part time couple trips a month fisherman?

Second, I've kind of narrowed it down to 2 motors, the Minn Kota Traxxis 70 or the Motorguide Varimax 75. Both are very close in price, and this is a budget project. Is one clearly better than the other? Or is the extra 5LB of thrust on the motorguide going to be useful? I usually fish with 3 - 200LB fellas. Is 70-75LB thrust enough overall?

And Finally, any better mounting options? Does this Garelick horizontal platform mount seem like it will do the trick, mounted where I highlighted in the pic?

Thank You, I appreciate any info, I hope to pull the trigger on this ASAP, if all sounds okay. glastback.jpg

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Looking for some opinions please Transom mount new trolling motor on swim deck.

My boat is a 17.5ft with ~1900lbs dry weight and I have a 12V Minn Kota Endura C2 55lbs. Doesn't make it a rocket but it runs fine from the group 29 battery I used to replace the regular battery. In case I run it down to much I have an el cheapo jump start pack. I did run it a total of 2h and the engine still started fine. The Garelick should work but I prefer the fixed mount version at the transom.
I will install a swim platform soon and then it will get a plate mounted to the rear of it.

almstsobur

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Looking for some opinions please Transom mount new trolling motor on swim deck.

. The Garelick should work but I prefer the fixed mount version at the transom.
Can you clarify this a little? Or maybe a link to the the mount you are talking about. Thank You.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd look at the minnkota that mounts to your drive and is steered at the helm. Between buying the mount and drilling your swimdeck I think it would serve your purpose better. You might find a decent used one and stay in your price range.

Minn Kota Motors

minn | eBay kota mk 55 em&_fscr=1

As to your original question the motor will work out there but will be a pain to operate. Having used a tiller type transom mounted TM on a couple of pontoons I'll tell you that you can lock the trolling motor straight and steer while trolling with your big motor. Your problem is going to be controlling on/off and speed. If you put a bass seat pedastal out there and fished from out on the swim deck it might be do-able. Make your buddy run the trolling motor so you can fish. ;)

almstsobur

Seaman Apprentice

lmuss53, I appreciate the advice. I took your advice and what I have heard other say and decided to go the bow mount way. I still did not want to drill any holes on the boat or do anything permanent though, so I built myself a fish deck, added a swivel butt seat and plan to mount a 70 Thrust 24V Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 to the deck once the motor arrives tomorrow.

This platform is completely removable, thus the hinge, It allows access to the dual batteries below it and also allows for it to be folded up, providing room to slide it out and remove it. I was able to do this without putting a single screw or new hole in my boat, I only have to remove the 2 screws behind the hinge to allow for the unit to be broke down. I'm quite happy with the outcome so far, we will see how it pans out.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMAG0240.jpg
    IMAG0240.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0241.jpg
    IMAG0241.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0