Circuit breaker install?

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
After repeated posts on the importance of having a circuit breaker installed betweent the battery & trolling motor, I would like to get one put on. I decided to go with the 50 amp (manual reset) & was looking for a little help with the details of installing it correctly. What wire goes to what stud & where, etc. Sorry, but I lack the skills in the electrical department. THANKS!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Circuit breaker install?

As with any type line interrupter setup you are trying to break the circuit IF anything gets shorted. So install the breaker or fuse in the red or hot line coming from the battery. Take the red (positive) line from the battery and attach it to one terminal of the breaker/fuse. Then take the other terminal and run a line (red also) from there to the trolling motor. The black (negative wire) doesn’t get touched. Job finished...that simple...

Fuse setup.jpg

Hope this explains it..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Which breaker are you going to buy?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ideally the breaker (or a fuse) should be installed withiin six inches of the positive battery post. You mention selecting a 50A breaker. What trolling motor do you have and what thrust. That and the wire gauge determines what the appropriate breaker size is. Since you admit you don't have electrical skills, do you have the skills to properly crimp ring terminals onto the wires and the tools for the job. If not, you may be best served by having someone do this for you.

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don S - I am getting the Seachoice Marine Manual Boat Circuit Breaker

Silvertip - I have a 46# thrust Minn Kota Endura. The wire is 6 guage. If there was any soldering, I can handle that, but if any crimping is needed I planned on taking to a local shop to have it done.

Thanks guys!

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Silvertip - I have a 46# thrust Minn Kota Endura. The wire is 6 guage. If there was any soldering, I can handle that, but if any crimping is needed I planned on taking to a local shop to have it done.

Thanks guys!

Umm your taking it to the shop to have two ring terminals installed? That's crazy (IMO) Go to any auto part store & buy you a cheap crimper & teminal set. Solder it after you crimp on the terminals if you would like, Then heat shrink them or use liquid electrical tape & your golden.
Not trying to be an A_s, it's just that it's such a simple job.
Good luck.

UncleWillie

Captain

... Go to any auto part store & buy you a Cheap Crimper & Terminal set...

Maybe go to an Auto Parts Store and have them crimp it for you. :D

"Cheap" Crimpers that will do 6 Gauge or larger are going to be $50 or more. :blue:

NYBo

Admiral

Thanks guys!
I think that breaker has too low a rating; a 60 amp would probably be right. But what does Minn Kota say?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

My 55 lb minn kota says 60 amp. The breaker was like $35-40 shipped, so I just got the power center for $60 shipped. Has the 60 amp and a 10 amp breaker for two cig lighter type outlets. Since I'm only using one battery, it works fine for me. Still need a 3 amp breaker for the fish finder though.