Motorguide brute 756 trolling motor

Hello, Im new to this. I have a motorguide brute 756 trolling motor im having trouble with the selector switch i have speeds 3,4,5 but no 1,2 doe antbody have any suggestions. Cant seem to find any parts for this unit anywhere. Thanks

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Motorguide brute 756 trolling motor

Any way you can post some pics of the set up?

It has a speed selection switch on the side of the foot control, everything turns free and connections look to be good just dont have any thing on the lower 2 setting on 12 or 24 volt

I will try to get pics tomorow and try to get on here if i can figure it out lol. Thanks

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm guessing that this is your set up. 12-24v-67lb-thrust-motorguide-brute-trolling-motor_5178442.jpg
I have the exact same one only it's 45 lb thrust. You most likely will need to replace the pedal or possibly just the speed dial on the pedal.

Yes that is what I have. Where could I find the speed control switch? I tried few different sites couldn't find my model. Thanks for your interest.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I doubt that switch would be a general replacement type switch. So more then likely you will have to go through the Motorguide dealer or contact the manufacturer for replacement parts. You probably have the contacts burnt out on the first two switch positions. There is a lot of current being turned off and on going through those contacts. If you are very mechanically inclined, you could try removing the switch and carefully opening up the switch and cleaning those contacts, but if you have never done such before, a replacement would be your best bet.

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

I doubt that switch would be a general replacement type switch. So more then likely you will have to go through the Motorguide dealer or contact the manufacturer for replacement parts. You probably have the contacts burnt out on the first two switch positions. There is a lot of current being turned off and on going through those contacts. If you are very mechanically inclined, you could try removing the switch and carefully opening up the switch and cleaning those contacts, but if you have never done such before, a replacement would be your best bet.
Yeah I looked very closely at my motor guide foot pedal and yeah you are pretty much s.o.l on replacing just the speed dial. Your best bet is searching out an entire pedal assembly. You MIGHT be able to find a new one somewhere but most likely you will have to get a used one somewhere. Those exact pedals where used for several years so you are in luck. You just need to make sure it has the 5 speeds & 12/24 volt switch. Google motor guide brute foot pedal

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't be in such a rush to buy a new/used foot pedal. A switch is just a way to make or break a circuit connection. The switch has just one input and five outputs. Determine which is the hot (input) lead to the switch with a test light or voltmeter. Then set the switch to position 1. Jumper those two pins. If the motor now runs the switch is bad. Repeat the process for speed setting #2. If the motor doesn't run when the speed switch contacts are jumpered there is a problem with the motor control board. Troubleshoot first -- then replace. Shotgunning a problem is usually the costly way to correct a problem.

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't be in such a rush to buy a new/used foot pedal. A switch is just a way to make or break a circuit connection. The switch has just one input and five outputs. Determine which is the hot (input) lead to the switch with a test light or voltmeter. Then set the switch to position 1. Jumper those two pins. If the motor now runs the switch is bad. Repeat the process for speed setting #2. If the motor doesn't run when the speed switch contacts are jumpered there is a problem with the motor control board. Troubleshoot first -- then replace. Shotgunning a problem is usually the costly way to correct a problem.
You are correct about trouble shooting but....The system does not have a control board. There is the sealed motor at the bottom of the shaft, and then there is the foot control pedal which simply has 3 switches, and that's it. One switch is the 12/24 switch, one is the grey switch that sends power to the motor, and then there is the speed switch. The only replaceable switch is the grey one for the motor.

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually I take it back about the speed switch not being replaceable. It looks like you can replace it, but good luck finding just the switch. I my self would just find a used set up for sale somewhere. motorguide 003.jpg

Hello guys, Sorry for not gettting back to you, In the time i was m i a i found my problem. It was a bad connection where foot pedal harness connects to the motor harness under the top cover. simple fix. I also found the speed control switch and ordered it but dont need now it was 11 dollars. Thanks for all your help with this issue i was having. N