terminal ring for battery

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: terminal ring for battery

Doesn't your battery already have a threaded terminal on it? Most marine batteries do.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Doesn't your battery already have a threaded terminal on it? Most marine batteries do.

Yes it does. I was just trying to keep all the neg and pos wires together. Right now the battery is in my garage and the all the wires are just hanging loosely. It just seems better to keep all the wires grouped together.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the batteries I prefer to use a standard SS hex nut with a SS lock washer. A nylock nut would work too, but I'm a little wary on using them on things that I know I will be taking apart and putting back together. In addition to the wrenches and sockets in a marine tool kit I have I keep spare wrenches in the boat just for the batteries.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

On the batteries I prefer to use a standard SS hex nut with a SS lock washer. A nylock nut would work too, but I'm a little wary on using them on things that I know I will be taking apart and putting back together. In addition to the wrenches and sockets in a marine tool kit I have I keep spare wrenches in the boat just for the batteries.

Anyone have an opinion on a SS wing nut with nylon insert and a lock washer? I have plenty of wrenches, just trying to find a short cut.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How many connections do you have at your battery? There is supposed to be a max of 4. If you have more, you should consider a bus bar.

UncleWillie

Captain

How many connections do you have at your battery? There is supposed to be a max of 4. If you have more, you should consider a bus bar.

+1 ^^

Connect all the cables to a Common Bus Bar and then you will only have ONE wire to connect to the battery.
Place the Battery and the Engine Starter Cables on the same Lug and the house loads on the other one.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Battery neg cable and 2 black ground wires. Battery pos cable and 2 red hot wires.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Battery neg cable and 2 black ground wires. Battery pos cable and 2 red hot wires.
That's ok.

I use a stainless steel lock nut. I never disconnect unless I am doing maintenance since I have a battery switch. You have one?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

That's ok.

I use a stainless steel lock nut. I never disconnect unless I am doing maintenance since I have a battery switch. You have one?

What is a battery switch?

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone have an opinion on a SS wing nut with nylon insert and a lock washer? I have plenty of wrenches, just trying to find a short cut.

I've never seen a wing nut with a nylon insert. With either a lock washer or a nylon insert they need to be tightened down more than finger tight so even with a wing nut you will at least need to have pliers to tighten it down.

UncleWillie

Captain

... I was just trying to keep all the neg and pos wires together. Right now the battery is in my garage and the all the wires are just hanging loosely. It just seems better to keep all the wires grouped together.

Do you pull the battery more than once a year?
Is this just a neatness thing or are you pulling the battery to charge it on a regular basis?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know you guys hate the wing nuts, but I have used them with no issue. Stainless steel, hand tighten and then snug them with a SHORT (4 to 6 inch) crescent wrench. Make sure it is short enough so it cannot short out accross the battery terminals. Rubber coated wrench is even better. Why not a Hex nut? Because the wrench is long enough to short out on the battery. The crescent wrench is a unversal tool as long as you don't misuse it.

TerryMSU

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I know you guys hate the wing nuts, but I have used them with no issue. Stainless steel, hand tighten and then snug them with a SHORT (4 to 6 inch) crescent wrench. Make sure it is short enough so it cannot short out accross the battery terminals. Rubber coated wrench is even better. Why not a Hex nut? Because the wrench is long enough to short out on the battery. The crescent wrench is a unversal tool as long as you don't misuse it.

TerryMSU

Problem Solved;
Craftsman Professional 1/2 in. Full Polish Stubby Wrench, 12 pt. Combination - Tools - Wrenches - All Open Stock Wrenches

;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That is why you use a socket. You have the same issue with removing the cables on a car.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A combination wrench is long enough to short out the terminals, but that's why you only turn the wrench about 1/2 a turn at the time. Using lock washers instead of lock nuts you only need about 1/2 a turn with the wrench anyway, the rest you can do with your fingers.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Do you pull the battery more than once a year?
Is this just a neatness thing or are you pulling the battery to charge it on a regular basis?

I just bought the boat 2 months ago. Pulled the battery on it and on a new lawn tractor. Put them both on my bench and trickle charge them every 2 weeks or so. It is just a neatness thing on my part. You muight call it a case of OCD.... lol

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

I've never seen a wing nut with a nylon insert. With either a lock washer or a nylon insert they need to be tightened down more than finger tight so even with a wing nut you will at least need to have pliers to tighten it down.

They do make wing nuts with nylon inserts. Have found them at Lowes and HD.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Danger......rocket scientists at work :laugh:

SS nyloc nuts and a ?? socket ;)